May God bless Australian captain Steve Smith and help him recover; In public statement to all cricket fans, Steve Smith accepts responsibility as captain for ball-tampering decision mistake, says sorry and seeks forgiveness

Smith breaks down during emotional press conference, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmLBrhiZxLU, 4 min. 45 secs, published by cricket.com.au on 29th March 2018.

I have given below a transcript of the initial part of the video which is his full statement before he takes questions:

[Australian cricket captain, Steve Smith:] Good evening! Thanks for coming. [Appreciate it.]

To all of my teammates, to fans of cricket all over the world, and to all Australians, very disappointed and angry: I am sorry.

What happened in Cape Town [South Africa] has already been laid out by Cricket Australia. Tonight, I want to make clear that as captain of the Australian cricket team, I take full responsibility. I made a serious error of judgement and I now understand the consequences. It was a failure of leadership - my leadership. [Smith is visibly struggling to speak as he is overcome by emotion.]

I will do everything I can to make up for my mistake and the damage its caused. If any good comes of this, (if it) can be a lesson to others then I hope I can be a force for change.

I know I will regret this for the rest of my life. I am absolutely gutted. I hope in time, I can earn back respect and forgiveness.

I have been so privileged and honoured to represent my country and captain the Australian cricket team. Cricket is the greatest game in the world. It's been my life. And I hope it can be again.

I am sorry and I am absolutely devastated.

--- end Australian cricket captain Steve Smith's statement transcript ---

Ravi: I am deeply touched by the suffering that Mr. Steve Smith is going through now. I think it is genuine suffering as he seems to have realized the consequences of his actions as leader of the team. He has done the absolutely right thing by accepting responsibilty as the captain of the team for the ball-tampering cheating that took place with his agreement and perhaps even direction. He has not tried to shift blame to anybody else who may have made the suggestion (the name of the vice-captain, David Warner, is mentioned in the press reports in this regard but that is not confirmed).

It was his job as captain to NOT ONLY have rejected the suggestion (if that's how it happened) but also pull up whoever made the suggestion. The captain not only shows the way for ethical behaviour but has to call out unethical behaviour among his teammates and tell them sternly to correct themselves or else!

After accepting responsibility for his grave leadership ethical lapse, he humbly hopes to earn back respect and forgiveness from the cricket following community. He also talks about the possibility of being a force for change to prevent such matters from happening (in top-level professional international cricket games).

We all make mistakes. I certainly have made more than my fair share of mistakes in life, and may still trip up in future. The important thing is to recognize that the mistake was made, apologize to those who have been hurt by the mistake, seek forgiveness, and then move on with life with a determination to avoid repeating that mistake.

Steve Smith has done all that now, except for the moving on with life part which lies in the future. He has apologized to all cricket fans in the world!

Therefore, in my considered opinion, Steve Smith now deserves full support from the cricket community worldwide to help him recover. I earnestly pray to Almighty God to shower His Grace on Steve Smith and his family and friends who have been impacted by this matter, and help them recover from it.

Cricket Australia and the Australian Prime Minister, Malcolm Turnbull, must be thanked, IMHO, by all cricket fans worldwide (including me, though I don't get so much time nowadays to watch cricket), for having taken this matter up with the seriousness it deserves, and ensured that the right decisions were taken to penalize the guilty in a manner that has been visible not only to Australian fans but also to cricket (and perhaps other sports) fans from other parts of the world who are interested in this matter (like me, an Indian citizen living in India).
==================================

Contents of my Facebook post (slightly edited) about an earlier development in this matter, are given below:

Ball-tampering row: Cricket Australia bans Steve Smith, David Warner for 12 months, https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/australia-in-south-africa/ball-tampering-row-cricket-australia-bans-steve-smith-david-warner-for-12-months/articleshow/63505254.cms, updated 28th March 2018.

A small extract from above article:
"Four days on from the damning ball-tampering controversy which erupted in front of a global audience in Cape Town, Cricket Australia (CA) has banned Australian captain Steve Smith and vice-captain David Warner for 12 months and handed a nine-month ban to Cameron Bancroft."

Ravi: Seems like a good decision to me. The players have the option to appeal the decision.

Kudos to Cricket Australia for quick and significant action.

[I thank cricket.com.au (and Steve Smith) and indiatimes.com, and have presumed that they will not have any objections to me sharing the above transcript-snippet and small extract from their video/website on this post which is freely viewable by all, and does not have any financial profit motive whatsoever.]

Comments

Archive

Show more