World Hindu Congress in Lombard, Illinois, USA (near Chicago) from Sept. 7th to 9th, 2018; Reports of some opposition to it

I came across this video (around 5 min) of Rajiv Malhotra on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/RajivMalhotra.Official/videos/910274915829645/, dated 1st Sept. 2018, where he mentioned about some opposition to the 2nd World Hindu Congress event in Lombard, Illinois, USA (near Chicago) from Sept. 7th to 9th, 2018. Malhotra was dismissive of the opposition. Malhotra will be participating in the event and is a featured speaker in it.

This is the comment (slightly edited) I put up on the above mentioned Facebook video post:

I was trying to browse the Internet to see what is the major criticism of those who are opposing the event. I did not get much information on it except that one criticism is that it is being used to promote Hindutva views, and is a gathering of "radical Hindus". I don't know whether this is a valid criticism or not.

My stand is that so long as this World Hindu Congress is not critical of other religions like Christianity and Islam, and promotes a spirit of Hindus having respect for other well established and respected religions and faiths like Christianity and Islam, and also has respect for atheists and agnostics, I fully support such an event for Hindus and well-wishers of Hindus from other religions to come together, discuss and ideate about matters of interest to Hindus worldwide.

Here's the website for the event: http://www.worldhinducongress.org/. Youtube video: World Hindu Congress 2018 Intro, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOtezpyH-Og, 7 min. 44 seconds.

I saw the video. I don't find anything objectionable in it. It does not mention other religions at all except for a clip of Dalai Lama who seems to have participated in the inaugural World Hindu Congress in New Delhi in 2014, who said that (I paraphrase) Tibetan Buddhism came from an ancient Indian Guru!  So there is no question of criticism of other religions in this introductory video.

I look forward to seeing reports about this Congress and hopefully viewing a few videos of it.

Thank you Rajiv Malhotra sir for the initiative you have taken to share your views on this matter. All the best for your participation in the event.

BTW I think I should disclose that I am a Hindu and very grateful to my Hindu faith as it has been a great source of joy and satisfaction to me.

Comments

Archive

Show more