Latest cover of part autobio (A5 size) test print; Have ordered book copy with this cover from Pothi.com

Given below are the contents of my recent Facebook post created on 19th June 2019:  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2520016038214958&set=a.1616532491896655&type=3&theater

Here's a pic of a test print of the latest front cover part of my part autobio paperback book, on glossy paper using Brother inkjet colour printer in a Puttaparthi shop (A5 image printed on A4 glossy sheet):

[To open pic in larger resolution, right-click on pic followed by open link (NOT image) in new tab/window. In new tab/window you may have to click on pic to zoom in.]



One feedback I got on this pic is that there are too many things fighting for attention on this pic. As I thought about it, I think the feedback is correct.

Now I think the bird pic dominates over the three pics of me in the cover page. I wanted to use a bright pic as the earlier cover pic which is OK on ebook, prints in a rather dull way on paperback. I had got feedback on earlier cover as printed in paperback that it appears dull and that I should have something bright instead which will capture attention.

But I think now this pic is too loud.

Hmm. More work to do ... more learning about cover page design.

Update: I think that paperback book cover page is a place for me to express myself to readers (and people who may just give a quick look at it) via a picture, like I express myself to readers through inner content text (and some pics) in the book.

So while this paperback book cover page is taking a lot of time and I am making a lot of mistakes, I am learning about how to express myself better through the paperback cover page. So this is a good journey that I am on even if it is sucking away my time like nobody's business!

Ebook cover page is also a place for expressing myself but that is easier as there is no printing on paper coming into play that changes shades and looks different from how it looks on computer (LCD) monitor.
-----------------

Update on 20th Jun. 2019:

After viewing all the comments here, noting the Likes, discussions I had on the matter with quite a few people yesterday evening in (outside ashram) Puttaparthi and a lot of thinking on it, I decided to go ahead with the cover page as is. I informed Pothi.com about it today around 9.30 AM by mail. A little after 10 AM, Pothi.com sent me the successfully updated (after review) message. Around 11.30 AM I placed an order for the updated book (with the cover page shown in this post). I expect to get the paperback copy in a week to 10 days.

Given below is my analysis of the matter in points.

1. The point conveyed by the constructive criticism about bird being large and competing with other parts of cover page pic is well taken. I mean, it is a valid point. I thank the person who provided that constructive criticism.

2. I have limited skills in using graphics design tools. Recently I have got some exposure to some image manipulation features in GIMP (free software as against Adobe Photoshop which is not free and which I do not use). Other than GIMP I use Microsoft Paint and sometimes a little bit of Paint 3D. I tried to create a smaller bird and reflection pic, and then paste that into the background of blue water. The result shows that it is patchwork. I am sure more experienced people would be able to make the bird smaller in the blue water background without any appearance of patchwork. But I do not have that ability as of now.

3. For paperback book, most people felt the cover page overall to be attractive & good. They did not have much of an issue with the bird being big and its red legs sticking out of pics of me! The typical issue was with the passport authority marks on my first two pics which appears as dots when looked at casually but when carefully viewed get revealed as Passport authority letters. While I could use GIMP to remove those Passport Authority letters from the two pics, I felt that it is appropriate to leave them there in the interests of authenticity.

4. Some felt that the other cover pic (hills and water of greyish colour) on paperback book is dull and strongly preferred the blue water and bird background cover pic.

So for the paperback book I have gone ahead with the big bird and blue water background cover pic, despite it having the issues raised by the constructive criticism. Later on, say after a few months, if there is lot of negative feedback about the paperback cover page, I will explore changing it.

For the ebook however, this constructive criticism feedback has been very helpful in making me decide that I will retain the hills and greyish colour water pic for ebook cover page.

I once again thank the person for her very valuable constructive criticism which forced me to look at the matter more in-depth.

Another thing I would like to mention is that I paid only Rs. 30 for the colour printout shown in this post (done yesterday late morning). The glossy sheet on which it was printed was not very thick but that was fine for my purposes. It was printed using Brother Inkjet printer by Venkateshwara Offset Press located at Chitravathi Road (Down). Its timings are 10.30 AM to 1.30 PM.

I am told that the rate for colour inkjet printout varies with the content printed. I was given the impression that for my cover page print the standard rate in most Puttaparthi shops would be around Rs.50.

If the glossy sheet is thicker then the price may be higher. BTW for an earlier colour printout I got from a Puttaparthi shop on day-before-yesterday late evening when some of the printing shops were closed, I was charged significantly higher but the glossy sheet was thicker. I don't have any hard feelings about it as the person was very co-operative in understanding my needs and I was able to save valuable time by getting the print in the late evening itself. His shop was also large and well organized with lot of room for customers to comfortably discuss their needs with him.

Here's a pic of that earlier colour printout:


---

The feedback and my response is provided here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2519451924938036&set=a.1616532491896655. [Only my part of the exchange is available on my previous blog post: https://ravisiyer.blogspot.com/2019/06/white-streaks-in-some-pics-problem.html.]


Comments

Archive

Show more