Some oldie and modern Hindi film songs & few English songs which promote and celebrate sexual attraction between male and female, and which I am happy to promote

Last updated on 9th June 2019

[Associated Facebook post of mine: https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/2507982792751616]

I put up this post to express my support for sexual relationship between an adult man and an adult woman (heterosexual relationship) and for marriage as an institution between an adult man and an adult woman.  It is heterosexual relationship (man & woman) that has sustained human society over centuries and millennia. So I am fully supportive of heterosexual relationship as I think that is vital for healthy society.

I am not comfortable in promoting same-sex (gay/lesbian) relationship or same-sex (gay/lesbian) marriage. But neither am I willing to be critical of same-sex (gay/lesbian) relationship and/or marriage in countries where they are legal. I am ***NOT*** a homophobe, https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/homophobe. I respect the legal rights of gay/lesbian citizens in countries where that is legal.

I prefer to stay silent on gay/lesbian sex relationship and/or marriage in countries where that is deemed illegal. I am ***NOT*** an activist for gay/lesbian sex relationship and/or marriage.

The Indian legal status on this matter as per this wiki page, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_India, is as follows (extract(s) from wiki page are given):

Sexual activity between people of the same gender is legal. Although same-sex couples are not legally recognized currently by any form, performing a symbolic same-sex marriage is not prohibited under Indian law either.[5] On 6 September 2018, the Supreme Court of India decriminalised homosexuality by declaring Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code unconstitutional.[1] Homosexuality was never illegal or a criminal offence in ancient Indian and traditional codes but was criminalised by the British during their rule in India.

...
[Wiki References]
1. Mahapatra, Dhananjay; Choudhary, Amit Anand (7 September 2018). "SC decriminalises Section 377, calls 2013 ruling 'arbitrary and retrograde'", https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/sc-decriminalises-section-377-calls-2013-ruling-arbitrary-and-retrograde/articleshow/65712063.cms. The Times of India.

5. "In a first, Gurgaon court recognizes lesbian marriage - Times of India", http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/gurgaon/In-a-first-Gurgaon-court-recognizes-lesbian-marriage/articleshow/9401421.cms. The Times of India. Retrieved 31 January 2017.
--- end wiki extracts ---
----------

Tum Agar Saath Dene Ka Vada Karo (Hamraaz), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXICci7VtbU, 4 min. 19 secs. The film was released in 1967.
----

Tum Agar Saath Dena Ka Vada Karo sung by an orchestra in 2016 (almost half a century after the film release) in Mumbai: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUNroXE39d4
----

Pyar Deewana Hota Hai - Kati Patang (1970) - has an additional philosophical angle to it about the perils of romantic love: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lslZptXok8o
----

Unse Mili Nazar | Jhuk Gaya Aasman (1968), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i160jmz6JI
----

A remix version of Unse mili nazar in 2018 (50 years later!), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sgh8_avILk
----

Yeh Shaam Mastani from Kati Patang (1970), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sZg4EUB3IM
----

Awesome live rendition of the Yeh Shaam Mastani song perhaps in the 2010s by an Abhijeet Bhattacharya and music group, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnLSJKKXZh8
----

Awesome celebration of the power of sexual attraction between male and female by Michael Jackson and Britney Spears singing and dancing (pop) 'The way you make me feel' live in 2001 in Madison Square Garden in New York City: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrTC3FHE8No
----

The short version official video of 'The way you make me feel', https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzZ_urpj4As, (song released in 1987).
----

Perhaps since 2000s, Hindi film (Bollywood) songs got close to Western love songs territory. Here's a blockbuster hit song, "Sheila ki Jawani" from the 2010 movie "Tees Maar Khan" with Katrina Kaif dancing her way to fame (the song's lyrics are a mix of Hindi and English; English sub-titles are also provided): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTmF2v59CtI.
----

'Crazy Kiya Re' is another big hit song from the 2000s. It is from 2006 movie Dhoom 2. The dancer is Aishwarya Rai. This song is also a Hindi-English mix song. The video has English sub-titles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Bh68GTUOU
----

Let me end with Madonna's Material Girl released in 1984, which perhaps is her most famous song. Official video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p-lDYPR2P8
----
===============================================================

Given below are some comment(s) from related FB post of mine,  https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/2508518146031414 :

In response to a comment, I wrote:
I abhor and condemn violence against those who are gay/lesbian. Violence in this matter is a terrible, terrible thing. Tolerance is the key thing. If some people really dislike gays/lesbians they can avoid them but they should never act violently towards them or approve of such violence towards them.
----

In response to a comment, I wrote (slightly edited):
--Name-snipped-- Thank you for expressing your frank and well articulated views.

If I were playing an individual guy role like I was prior to Sathya Sai Mahasamadhi in April 2011, I think I would largely have a similar view to what you have expressed in the first three paragraphs of what you wrote. Essentially I would have had a liberal, live-and-let-live attitude to gays/lesbians.

I started blogging on spirituality from Sept. 2011 under a pen name and from Aug. 2013 I started my main blog on my own name, https://ravisiyer.blogspot.com/, on spirituality, religion and on my humble understanding of Sathya Sai teachings, and experiences of devotees including me of Sathya Sai (mainly physical form level).

As I got some level of readership and interactions from few of such readers on my blog and later on Facebook (from sometime in 2015), I slowly started realizing that I have to go beyond my own individual life and get an understanding of larger community life. The views I expressed on my blog were influencing some readers and so I had to blog in a responsible way bearing in mind not only my individual well-being but also a larger community well-being.

I realized that since I got established as a software development professional, I have led a financially reasonably comfortable life as compared to the lives of many other Indians and also many people from other countries in the world. Life can be a real grind for many Indians. Religion for them is a major, major source of guidance to handle the grind in life. They look up to religious leaders for norms to follow in community life. I think this is true in India (where religious believers constitute high 90s percentage of the total populace) for the major religions practiced in India: Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Sikhism, Buddhism, Jainism, Zoroastrianism and Judaism.

As a social media writer, my influence is very, very tiny in comparison to the influence of any religious leader of any medium sized mutt/temple/mosque/church/ashram in India. In other words, I am just a nobody when it comes to the larger religious community picture in India.

I recognize this ***inescapable*** reality of life in India, which I think is similar in countries where there is high percentage of religious believers (say above 80 to 90% of total populace).

So when I write on such sensitive topics I factor in these ***inescapable*** realities of life (major/dominant role played by religious leaders in community life).

Recently, I went through a great learning experience with regard to my views on gay/lesbian sex relationships and gay/lesbian marriage which I had expressed in private to a contact based in a Muslim majority South East Asian country. Now this contact is of Hindu faith but seems to have grown up and now works in this Muslim majority country. I think that the person's mind is influenced by the Muslim conservative view on this sensitive topic of gays & lesbians.

The person seemed to have formed a view that my mind is full of garbage because I expressed my quite tolerant view (though not a promoter view) of gay/lesbian sex relationship and marriage, where that is legal (as I want to avoid wading into the issue in countries where it is deemed illegal).

Perhaps the person is a homophobe. Perhaps the person feels that I have no right to be a writer on spirituality & religion as I ***do not condemn*** gays & lesbians.

It was quite a shock for me to know how strongly the person felt about my views. It was as if I was being excommunicated by that person because I was tolerant of gays & lesbians. Mind you this person is not a Muslim but a Hindu living in a Muslim majority country.

That led me to express my views on gays/lesbians publicly - express my stand publicly. [Prior to these public writings in past week or so, I don't think I have publicly written on this topic in detail or expressed a public stand].

I also requested those who are very offended (different from polite disagreement) by my stand to unfriend/unfollow me, as I felt that the gap then between our views is too much. For such cases, it would be best for them and for me to not interact. The contact chose to cut off interactions with me and I think at least partly it is my stand on gays/lesbians that has led to that decision. I am happy with the outcome as I think that is best for both that contact and me.

Note that there are other Hindu contacts/social media friends from Muslim majority countries who seem to be OK with my public stand on gays/lesbians. So one should not generalize on this matter based on the single contact who chose to cut off interactions with me.

It was also important for me to express the larger community aspect of my view on gays/lesbians which is strongly influenced by my life in rural India. And that is that I do not promote gays/lesbians but I promote heterosexual relationships, and that I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman (which is a stand that some gays/lesbians will, I am quite sure, disagree with). And that it is heterosexual marriages that have sustained humanity over centuries & millennia.

Now, --name-snipped--, you may disagree with the part of my view given above. In particular you may disagree with me on the "I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman". And that's fine by me. I mean, we can agree to disagree on this.

And I think our disagreement on this may be based on the different community environments that we live in now. You now live in the USA (and perhaps have lived for many years) in an area that I think is largely liberal in its views on this gay/lesbian issue. I live (and have lived over the past 16 years) in a conservative rural town and rural district in India. I can't see my district (Anantapur in Andhra Pradesh) people, irrespective of whether they are Hindu, Muslim or Christian (major communities in this district) accept even openly gay people (who express their love openly on the streets), let alone gay marriage, in at least the next decade or two. Closet gays, on the other hand, I think are tolerated, and I have not read of any violence on any such closet gays.
----

I wrote:
Just so that we know the reality of homophobia not only in conservative countries but also in some parts of the world that are viewed as liberal & tolerant towards homosexuality:

Here's a report of a recent homophobic attack in London: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/07/europe/homophobic-attack-london-intl-scli-gbr/index.html.

The CNN report said there were 2800 reports of homophobic attacks in UK in 2018.

I condemn such violent homophobic attacks in countries where homosexuality is accepted as legal. I choose to stay silent on the topic of homophobia in countries where homosexuality is viewed as illegal as that can be a dangerous topic to get involved in. Note that as per certain schools of Islamic jurisprudence, homosexuals are to be punished by death though that is not implemented nowadays, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_in_Islam.
----

In response to a comment, I wrote:
"If you think you are an influencer, all the more reason to communicate, educate and liberate the minds of your followers from ignorance and lead them to peace." - I think what you may view as liberation and what I view as liberation may differ. I think we need to focus more on tolerance of different viewpoints rather than "education" which many times is a subtle form of imposing one's view considered as superior on another. I prefer not to get into any such imposition of views, whether liberal or conservative. I share my view and leave it that. No "education". But in my views, I try to bear in mind not only my individual well-being but also the community well-being with respect to the community that I live in.
----

Comments

Archive

Show more