Miscellaneous Facebook posts & comments in Oct. 2019

When author of post or comment is not mentioned, it should be assumed that it is me (Ravi S. Iyer).

To save time, I am usually not providing my FB post links but only contents. I am also not hyperlinking links. So readers will have to copy-paste links from this post onto a browser link box and then browse to that link.

Andhra Pradesh serial killer? Person who gave coins & idols with claimed divine powers allegedly poisoned 8 persons to death over past few years

Today's The Hindu print newspaper carried a shocking article: Eluru apartment watchman turns ‘serial killer’, https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/andhra-pradesh/eluru-apartment-watchman-turns-serial-killer/article29836208.ece.

Here are other articles on the horror story:
* Serial killer? Man held for eight murders in Andhra Pradesh, http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/71811175.cms

* From watchman to burglar, Eluru's serial killer came a long way!, http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/andhra-pradesh/2019/oct/30/from-watchman-to-burglar-elurus-serial-killer-came-a-long-way-2054533.html

According to above reports, the man who runs a laundry, was an apartment watchman. He made some money as a broker selling a flat in the apartment, and then got into 'real estate' business as well as selling idols and coins with claimed divine powers.

His killings came to light after a physical education teacher in a school in Eluru, Andhra Pradesh died on Oct. 16th. Some thought he died of a heart attack but his family members suspected foul play and approached the police. The post-mortem revealed that he died of poisioning. By going through his mobile records, the police were able to locate the alleged killer who, the police say, confessed to his crime on questioning by the police.

According to one of the reports, the police said (slightly edited), "In almost all the cases, --name-snipped-- offered some coins and idols to his victims, saying they have supernatural powers. And, they would become wealthy if they kept them in their homes. To convince the victims, Shiva told that he became rich in the same manner and a few MLAs, ministers and officers also took the coins from him. After collecting a few lakhs of rupees, the accused would ask the victim to come to a temple to have darshan, and take the ‘prasadam’. The victim would collapse after consuming the ‘prasadam’ and Shiva will make it look like a heart attack".

Another report stated "He had killed those who had questioned him or demanded refund of the money paid to him."

Hmm. This is the reality of life in India today. There surely are some genuine holy people but there are many criminals, some of whom are even killers, who claim to have divine solutions to all problems. Perhaps the biggest challenge for those who seek divine help through such intermediaries, is to know who is genuine and who is fake, and among fakes to know who are dangerous criminals who can even go to the extent of killing people.
---------------------

In a post, https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/2637092623173965, on Ramana Maharshi's quote "Investigate the mind. It is eliminated and remain over.", I responded to a comment:
Well, my posts are ***critical*** of Madhu, to help warn people from getting trapped by him. That is an important function some of us are doing.
---

In response to another comment, I wrote:
A few have thanked me for helping them know the truth about MDH which helped them to avoid MDH.
...
I have reduced my MDH exposure posts now but at times I do share the work that others are doing in this matter.
---------------------

https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/2636344049915489

Saw the first few minutes and was impressed. Hope to see the whole 2 hr. 7 min animation movie, in parts, over the next few days. Thought I should share it with readers as some might be interested.
[Shared video link: https://krishnatube.com/video/479/warrior-prince-animated-ramayana-the-legend-of-prince-rama/ ]
...
Seen upto 13 minutes of it now by which time Ram & Sita are in Ayodhya. It skips detail as it perhaps has to given the limitations of time a movie has. And there seems to be some differences in the account between the movie and what is written in Valmiki Ramayana (I have read some parts of Valmiki Ramayana - Bala Kanda).
---------------------------------------

Lovely and warm Diwali greetings from UK PM Boris Johnson. In the video embedded in his tweet, PM Johnson makes a reference to Lord Ram and Sita returning to Ayodhya after having defeated the demon king Ravana! I thoroughly enjoyed that. Great to know that UK PM Johnson knows about Ram and Sita and about Ram defeating Ravana.

Very positive and encouraging words!

"To everyone celebrating Diwali here in the UK and around the world, I want to wish you all a happy Diwali and a joyful and successful new year. Shubh Diwali!", https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1188190221302714369
-----------------------------------

Wonderful to see US President Trump continue tradition of Diwali lamp lighting function in White House this year too

US President Trump: "As Diwali commences, @FLOTUS Melania and I wish those observing the Festival of Lights a blessed and happy celebration! #HappyDiwali",
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1188400389697212416 . The tweet has a 19 second video where President Trump says, "As we light the Deepam (Deepak) today, we know that our nation is strengthened by the sacred traditions that bind people together across our land. May this light bring hope to (us?) all and may everyone have a wonderful Diwali!"

Ravi: As a Hindu, and a citizen and resident of India, I thank US President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump for their gracious support for Hindus in the USA and for Mr. Trump's participation in this Diwali function in the White House.

Please note that I have a PUBLICLY (POLITICALLY) NEUTRAL informal-student-observer role in these posts that I put up about USA politics. Of course, as I am an Indian citizen living in India, there is no question of me having voted in USA elections. I am a well-wisher of the people of the USA.
-----------

Good to see PM celebrate Diwali with Indian armed forces in sensitive border district! Happy Diwali to Indian armed forces who protect our country with their incessant vigil and their great sacrifices!
[Shared FB post:  https://www.facebook.com/narendramodi/photos/a.10156627257580165/10162551922040165/ ]
...
https://twitter.com/narendramodi/status/1188412301524852736
-----------------------

Wonderful article by a Western Hindu Rishi!

[Shared link: From Darkness To Light: An Ancient Vedic Prayer To Illumine Our Lives!, https://www.vedanet.com/from-darkness-to-light-an-ancient-vedic-prayer-to-illumine-our-lives/ ]
------------------------------

I have to frankly express my doubts about the non-violence part in this. Other parts are wonderful!

I think non-violence works great in a society governed by law, with essentially police officers and other security forces of the state taking on the tough task of combating violent elements in human society who seek to illegally grab possessions of others.

But, in general, I think non-violence may be viewed as a weakness by violent raiders who will just grab what non-violent people will have, and not hesitate to even kill them. This is what history teaches us and this is what contemporary war situations (e.g. Syria, Afghanistan, Yemen as well as some places in Africa where it is a civil war kind of situation) teach us.

But then I am human. Bhagavan is the Avatar. Perhaps it is my lack of spiritual maturity that leads me to have this doubt.

Note that Rama & Krishna avatars about whom Bhagavan used to speak of a lot in his discourses were born in the warrior (Kshatriya) class and engaged in violent wars, and even killed opponents.

As of now at least, I have decided to follow Bhagavan's non-violence teaching only in civil society protected by effective police force, but not view it as something that is universal and will apply to war situations or terror situations (e.g. terror attacks in India by terrorists some of whom at least are supported by external country(ies)).

[Shared FB post had Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba quote - "Do karma (activity) based on the spiritual wisdom that all is One! Let it be suffused with devotion, humility, love, compassion and nonviolence"]
-------------------------------------------

The classic rendition of Tera Ramji Karenge Beda Paar by Hari Om Sharan (audio; I think the video is showing an actor representing him), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_fnYAzl4Bk, 7 min 18 secs.
...
Lovely rendition of the devotional song - Tera Ramji karenge beda paar - that touches the heart by Madhumita Biswas and group, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAU0sRr2O5g, around 6 mins.
-------------------

Very interesting! I particularly was interested in the religion related Q&A. Here's a key part of it:

Q: You studied to be a priest. Is religion still important to you? [Mark Tully studied Theology in Cambridge (UK) and later joined Lincoln Theological College intending to be a priest in the Church of England but gave up after two terms. He said later he had doubts about "trusting [his] sexuality to behave as a Christian priest". Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Tully. Ravi: Very refreshing to see such candour from Mark Tully. Just shows what a great guy he is.]

A. Yes, of course. I’ve visited temples, been to services, been to aartis often in temples, I’ve been to masjids as well, but I am a Christian by upbringing. And I am still a church-going Christian. But I do believe – from India I’ve learnt this – that there are many ways to God. (But) as I say, I was born to be a Christian, so I stick to the Christian way.

[I thank thequint.com and have presumed that they will not have any objections to me sharing the above small extract from their website on this post which is freely viewable by all, and does not have any financial profit motive whatsoever.]

[Shared link: What Makes India 'Home' for Ex-BBC India Chief Mark Tully? | The Quint, https://www.thequint.com/news/india/mark-tully-romance-with-india-delhi-religion-hindi-language-yoga-sarson-ka-saag ]
--------------------------------

Very interesting Indian govt. documentary on Ramana Maharshi produced in 1980

This English language documentary was produced by Films Division, Government of India in 1980 (shown in still at end of film): Sri Ramana Maharshi (English), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VX94rflmkk, 17 min. 19 secs.
---------------------------------

Interesting version of how Krishna gave up his body, and the role of Karma in it. But I do not know whether this version is consistent with well known/well accepted Bhagavata Purana version(s).

[Shared FB post:  https://www.facebook.com/Vedicfacts/photos/a.306046219507880/837832109662619/?type=3&theater]
---------------------------------------

Interesting to see such celebration of Navrathri in Thailand. Video is 4 min. 20 secs.

An extract from Religion in Thailand, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Thailand :

There is no official state religion in the Thai constitution, which guarantees religious freedom for all Thai citizens, though the king is required by law to be a Theravada Buddhist. The main religion practised in Thailand is Buddhism, but there is a strong undercurrent of Hinduism with a class of brahmins having sacerdotal functions.[2] The large Thai Chinese population also practises Chinese folk religions, including Taoism. The Chinese religious movement Yiguandao (Thai: Anuttharatham) spread to Thailand in the 1970s and it has grown so much in recent decades to come into conflict with Buddhism; in 2009, it was reported that each year 200,000 Thais convert to the religion.[3][needs update] Many other people, especially among the Isan ethnic group, practise Tai folk religions. A significant Muslim population, mostly constituted by Thai Malays, is present especially in the southern regions.

[Wiki References:]
1. "Population by religion, region and area, 2015" (PDF). NSO. Archived (PDF) from the original on 10 December 2017. Retrieved 12 October 2017.
2.  "The new Brahmins". Bangkok Post. 15 October 2015.
3. Yusheng Lin (2015). "Yiguandao and Buddhism in Thailand" (PDF). Kyoto University's Center for the Promotion of Interdisciplinary Education and Research.
--- end extract ---

As per the above Wiki page, according to Census 2015 in Thailand, Hindus constituted 0.03% of the population. That's a real tiny fraction. However, Buddhists constitute 94.5% of the population which is an overwhelming majority, with some Buddhists, as suggested by the above wiki extract, following some Hindu practices.

Hmm. I find that to be very interesting!

[Shared FB video: https://www.facebook.com/WesternHindu/videos/834805083322320/ ]
--------------------------

Good to see Sai Young Adults doing service in Fiji. Jai Sai Ram!
[Shared FB post: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=565850010852583&id=339073076863612&__tn__=H-R]
----------------------------

"The first edition of Martin Luther’s New Testament in 1522 was a best seller! It had a print run of 3,000 copies—selling out completely within weeks. His translation of the Bible into German wasn’t the first. But it became the translation with the most impact!", https://twitter.com/museumofBible/status/1186661074512371712
---------------------------------

Given below are my comments (slightly edited) on my post,  https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/2629777963905431 :

[The post had my share comment: "Camel rides may not be a great idea for everyone!" and shared this video: https://www.facebook.com/insanetypewriterr/videos/680958819081798/.]

In response to a comment, I wrote:
I should say that I too am struggling with a tummy that is much larger than it should be. But then I think I will keep away from riding camels!
----

In response to a comment, I wrote:
Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

For me, the reclusive life as well as social media writer (and 2 regular books now) work, after around September 2011 when I drastically cut down my involvement with Sai university, has led to a very sedentary life. That along with some other factors like stress when exposing Muddenahalli group false belief and contributing to reversing hijack of some parts of Prasanthi Nilayam by Muddenahalli group, contributed to a strange life leading to big tummy.

Now I have drastically cut down on my activities related to exposing Muddenahalli group as I feel the main task of informing interested people among the Sai devotee fraternity and also larger public, is done. The info. is easily accessible on the Internet. If people still want to go to Muddenhalli group then that's their choice and their destiny. So the stress of that period is largely gone now.

Getting the 1st and 2nd book out was very challenging. The 2nd book had pictures within and was sensitive as it is an autobio (part), and that resulted in lots of issues. So that was a pretty stressful period. Now that has almost got finished.

So now I am taking a step back and trying to focus on project Tummy Reduction. I am trying hard to exercise more, eat less etc. but do not succeed all the time. Some success followed by some failure and then some efforts again and some success .... This is a battle :-). But I think I am slowly and steadily getting a grip on the issue and hope to have significant success in Project Tummy Reduction in the next couple of months.
----

In response to a comment, I wrote:
The splinter group developed over time and publicly came out in May 2014. But right from July 2011 they had started their work ***privately***. Further, right after Mahasamadhi of Bhagavan in end April 2011, Puttaparthi and Prasanthi Nilayam got into severe trauma as there was a great power struggle, with the splinter group forming at least partly due to this power struggle. So the trauma started right from May-June 2011 for people like me!

I must also say here that while I revere Bhagavan and his teachings, I am comfortable with some of his teachings but am not so comfortable with some others like Ahimsa, as perhaps I am not spiritually mature enough to understand those teachings. So I try to follow some of Bhagavan's teachings but even there due to my many human flaws, trip up here & there.

About food: As I have a weak digestive system, even when Bhagavan was in physical form, I used to eat food mostly from particular outside ashram eateries whose food suited my digestive system. But sometimes I did eat at PN canteens.

I do not cook food at home except for tea, coffee, Knorr soup,  sometimes Atta noodles and stuff like that.

Prior to Bhagavan Mahasamadhi, even though I used to eat food in outside eateries, I was very careful to usually eat 'safe' food like Idli, Dosa, Tomato rice, rice-meals etc. I was then more in satthwic mode avoiding confrontation and being willing to withdraw from a dispute typically rather than engage in it, and was focused on my individual sadhana, along with some amount of collective sadhana through free Seva at the university.

After Bhagavan Mahasamadhi, I essentially suspended my individual sadhana. I focused on trying to contribute to the collective group as it was undergoing the immediate post Mahasamadhi trauma.

And as things got worse, with power craze gripping some guys in power in the University, I started getting into Rajisic mode as I felt it to be necessary. So instead of quietly withdrawing, I started questioning the unethical actions of some guys. That resulted in heavy reaction from those in power ...

To cut a long story short, the rajisic mode has continued right from then, as I felt it to be necessary. Now perhaps I will be reducing it to some extent but as I lead an outside ashram life I think some amount of Rajas is necessary to prevent being bulldozed by some people who try to dominate.

And my food habits changed as I wanted to blend in with the community in outside ashram Puttaparthi, and also Rayalaseema locals. So at times, I eat Ragi Mudda with very hot pappu and chutney taken from a local eatery. I find that I can digest it even if I sweat at the time I am eating it due to the very hot pappu and chutney!

While I know that ideal food for the spiritual guy is satthwic food cooked at home, I have a different approach as of now at least. I would like to be connected to the outside ashram community and so I want to have food with the community.

The lady at the local eatery from where I usually take Ragi Mudda parcel, once asked me, "Chicken tintaava?". I politely declined :-). I don't want to go as far as Non-veg or alcohol when it comes to associating with outside ashram community and locals community.

I don't eat sweets on a regular basis but at times I do take it. Especially if I feel drained of energy, I take sweets. My ayurvedic doctor in Dombivli had suggested this to me, and it works very well for me.

But sugar and dairy milk powder for tea and coffee prepared at home, or sugar & milk for tea & coffee outside, is typical stuff for me.

You may be avoiding a lot of the above that I have mentioned. There are quite a few in Puttaparthi also who avoid at least some of the stuff I have mentioned above.

Another aspect is that I realized that outside ashram life is such that some amount of fat and muscle on a person's body gets the person some respect! Really! My tummy now is not too much as per local (outside ashram) norms. In fact, I think it gets recognized as this guy seems to not have money problems as otherwise how could he have that tummy! A sign of prosperity! But the spiritual aspirant in me feels ashamed of a tummy that protrudes too much. I mean, I am not looking for a flat body-builder kind of tummy - some amount of protruding tummy is OK but not too much.

If a person is too thin, some locals may consider the person to be an easy pushover in case of any dispute. As I write on social media now and sometimes about sensitive matters, I don't want to appear, even at physical level, to be an easy pushover to bullies.

To end this comment, let me share something typical of my food habits now. Prior to me getting into outside ashram & locals community (prior to Mahasamadhi), I used to avoid or take very limited amount of raw onion. But as I got into the locals community life, I saw that raw onion is common along with many food items. I remembered the incident of Shirdi Sai Baba and eating raw onions where he says to the Brahmin visitor who is alarmed at seeing Baba eating raw onion with his Bhakri or similar grain food item, that those who can digest the (raw) onion should eat it.

So I took to freely eating raw onions along with the main dish. I think that helps in providing energy even if it is Rajasic energy.
----

In response to a comment, I wrote:
Knorr soup and Atta noodles are not a regular part of my diet. They are typically alternatives that I use when, for some reason or the other, I am not in a position to go outside to an eatery and eat freshly or relatively freshly cooked food.

About MSG, chemical preservatives etc. - I view that as a known risk. Note that outside ashram eateries in Parthi of the kind I visit (middle class type or some times lower middle class type) are not very hygienic, and so have their own issues. I view that again as a known risk. And such known risks are faced by many people in Puttaparthi, locals and non-locals who do not have home-cooked food as an option on a regular basis. I go with that risk rather than go for a protected and safe food lifestyle which may need me to cook my food, and which is what (cooking their own food) many hard-core spiritual aspirants do (and what family people in Puttaparthi do). I want to essentially be with the common folk in outside ashram Puttaparthi on this. Live & die with them as they are my physical-world-level community since I left the ashram system in mid 2012 and decided to live an outside-ashram life with them as not only my community but also my support base when I need help for my physical-worldly-life. I use the term physical-worldly life to contrast it to virtual world life like my Facebook & blog and email writings & interactions.

Note that earlier when I offered free service in the ashram system (Oct. 2002 to Mar. 2012), I stayed outside the ashram but most of my waking life was either inside the ashram system or in my room/flat where I would engage in individual sadhana. My friends community in Puttaparthi was mostly people in the ashram system, and I viewed that as my community. My interactions with locals and outside ashram community was limited to just the bare minimum needed as I lived outside the ashram. I had very limited idea and that too was based on rather fanciful notions, about the lives of locals, their challenges and how they handled it.

Now I am quite knowledgeable about their lives as ***they are my community now***. I am no longer a part of the ashram system community, and have very limited interactions with ashram system community folks now (a reversal from how it was from Oct. 2002 to Mar. 2012) though I am a well wisher of PN ashram system.
----

In response to a comment, I wrote:
First let me respond to your sentence, "You were probably shocked to see your dear community getting split right in front of your eyes."

The bodily passing away of my beloved and revered Gurudev, Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba, and the power-craze madness that gripped some people in power then, was perhaps my biggest real-life lesson about human society, the vital role that leadership plays, mad levels of jealousy among those who wanted leadership roles but did not get it, and abuse of power in dictatorial systems like ashram systems.

Puttaparthi ashram system was a mini-world even while Sathya Sai was in living form. It was not a typical ashram system dominated by spiritual monks or nuns. Barring Sathya Sai, during my stint in the ashram system from Oct. 2002 to Mar. 2012, there was no other ochre robe person (sannyasi/monk) in the system with any clout! Yes, there was one ochre robed person that I recall but he was given some duties related to maintenance of Swami parents' samadhi area, and did not have any clout in the ashram system proper.

Puttaparthi ashram system was a reflection of regular society outside in terms of the composition of its residents. The vast majority were family people, with sizeable number of retirees/pensioners. Running the schools, university, hospitals, canteens, accommodation, shopping centre ... were the major responsibilities. Prasanthi Nilayam was, and continues to be, a full fledged township.

And so the power struggle in the ashram system, after Sathya Sai's bodily passing away, was reflective of similar power struggles elsewhere in regular society, like in proprietorship company when the proprietor passes away, or political party when the top founder of the party passes away etc. There were power struggles earlier too but if it was a big matter it would go to Sathya Sai, and barring the last few years when his health had deteriorated very much, his decision was ***final***. He was essentially the Maharaj (emperor/king) of the ashram system OR CEO as some in the ashram system would say. Sathya Sai was an awesome king of his ashram system. His justice was extraordinary as he would know the inner thoughts and motives of people which the normal justice system judges do not have access to, but he would also bear in mind the role of the people involved. So he would have great respect for vice-chancellor of Sai university, director of Super hospital etc. If some person behaved badly with VC or Director even if he/she had some valid complaint, and the matter got escalated to Swami, the most probable outcome would be the person being thrown out of the system! I mean, issues & problems raised with top administrators of ashram system had to be done with lot of respect and as pleadings! That's the way it was. If one did not like it, one was welcome to leave it.

How could anybody, or any group of people (like a set of trustees), fill Sathya Sai's shoes (or rather footwear) on his bodily passing away! No chance whatsoever! Chaos and power struggle were inevitable after his bodily passing away.

But to see that happen in the system that I was in, and with some people becoming drunk with power, was very sad at one level, and at another level, made me very angry. Earlier the same persons would have been terrified of the matter getting escalated to Swami. Now Swami was not there in physical form, and so they thought this is now my kingdom. People should do as I say or get out! .... cont'd.
...
Cont'd ... And the reality was that the vast majority in the ashram system followed orders of these bosses and got rewarded with safe positions (with good salary hikes for paid staff) in ashram system. Those who did not like the new bosses left. What a change in power structure within just a few months! The Vice-chancellor of Sai university was like a super-boss with guys being really scared of him. "He is a very tough person and we should be careful with him" was the kind of message going around. And I had a direct experience of his Hitler like behaviour when he screamed at me as soon as I entered the VC's chambers (in July 2011) for the dispute I had with the HOD of my dept. as I refused to disassociate myself with a pet project of Swami - Sri Sathya Sai Vidya Vahini - unless the VC told me to do so. The HOD had got jealous of me as I was coming to the limelight for my work there. The VC was not willing to tell me to stop associating with it. But (I was told later) the HOD cornered the VC by threatening to resign if I was not stopped from associating with it. The VC was in a tight corner - if Swami was in physical form, he could have asked Swami. In fact, the HOD would have been terrified to oppose my work in that project if Swami was in physical form. But now, just a few months after Mahasamadhi (Jun-Jul 2011), how the situation had changed!

How did the VC solve it? By screaming at me as if I had committed some heinous crime as soon as I stepped into the VC's chambers, which had the net result of me withdrawing voluntarily from the dept except for 1 hour a week to provide support to an M.Tech. (CS) student for his project work as otherwise that poor student would have landed in a soup.

Earlier the VC was VC of Mysore university (a govt. funded university) and I think in such govt. funded universities the VC, when supported by political bosses, has massive power. But he had rubbed people the wrong way there too with his successor VC and top-level university committee/body planning to file a police complaint against him which would have led to his arrest by the police, and that being prevented by the Governor of Karnataka (Chancellor of the university) stepping in and threatening to withdraw funding to the university after which the successor VC dropped the police complaint plan. All of this was reported in mainstream media and is accessible via Google Search. There was also some report of him having slapped somebody in the university prior to him having become the VC of that university.

So to get some understanding of the vastly changed situation in the ashram system, I started studying dictatorial leaders like Hitler, Stalin and the North Korean Kim dynasty. Quite a few videos were available on youtube besides text articles. I started getting a better understanding of human weakness for abuse of power in dictatorial systems. I recall seeing a CNN video of the young NK leader Kim Jong-un who came to power in December 2011. The video showed some public gathering-event where the whole public and armed forces were saluting or wildly cheering the young leader (then in late twenties perhaps). The CNN commentator said something on the lines of: when a person gets such level of adulation, it must be having some impact on his mind and behaviour. In other words, the person may start believing he really is a "Great Leader".

And I also read up about cult leaders who get into "chosen one" (by God) belief. I felt some of the young guys in PN system who were in positions of power may have got into I am the "chosen one" (by God) or "Great Leader" kind of mindset, as all people around them were saluting them and praising them, and anybody who dissented could be disposed off under some pretext or another. Then there was this horrible culture of spies sucking up to the bosses and complaining or informing about dissenters. This was there to some extent earlier too but once again Swami's justice was superhuman/divine insight justice, and so spies impact was limited unless it was a genuine problem. But after Swami Mahasamadhi there was no check on this palace intrigue kind of stuff in the university, and I guess, other parts of the ashram system.

I realized very clearly that palace intrigue kind of behaviour has been the norm in circles of power for most of the history of humankind. I mean, I had read about such stuff earlier, of course. But to see that happen in front of my eyes, after Swami Mahasamadhi in the Sai university and which seems to have been happening in other parts of the ashram system too, was a great lesson to me about the reality of power and misuse of power.

Freedom and democracy became much more cherished ideals for me, after having gone through this experience. So now I am a lover and open supporter of democracy. And I study democratic processes (and share them on social media) like the one going in UK for Brexit, to improve my understanding of how these democratic processes work (including their flaws) in our times.
...
Noted your input about food. Agree with your statement: "As long as we listen to our bodies closely, we will be safe with our diets."

Good to know that you cook Ragi at times.

I should add on my diet stuff that my normal food is rice-meals (South Indian style), Tomato rice, Idli (sometimes Wada - I don't want to stop taking fried food completely as of now at least) and Dosa. My usual eatery is a Nair family run eatery (outside the ashram) with the main guy also being a born-and-bred Bombayite who has also spent some time in Dombivli. I have an account with him (where I pay in advance), and the relationship now is a very friendly one with all the staff. One cook and one waiter are from Jharkhand.

But I also visit other similar eateries, including some Idli, Dosa and Chapatti stalls (I usually take Idli; I find it a little difficult to digest Chapatti), especially in the evening. Vegetable-rice (without oil) is another regular item for me in the evenings from an Oriya guy run food stall with whom also I have become very friendly.

So my regular diet is a rather safe South Indian diet but I do take Rayalaseema (veg only) stuff from local eateries at times like, as I mentioned earlier, Ragi mudda with very spicy pappu and chutney.
----

In response to a comment, I wrote:
Noted your comments about food and health. Thanks.

Power-craze in dictatorial systems is a very strange thing. In my software industry career I never encountered anything like that at all.

I think the VC was a hot-tempered guy who thought he was doing good. He came under the influence of Narasimhamurthy, who became mad thinking that he was getting dream-instructions from Bhagavan for the mission, and I think there is a good possibility that the VC was advised by Narasimhamurthy to shout at me. Narasimhamurthy is a known powermonger even during days when Bhagavan was in physical form. He was viewed as the king of Brindavan campus.

The HOD was just plain jealous and thought himself to be super-knowledgeable and wanted to get rid of me as I was not a yes sir, yes sir kind of guy and was instead challenging some of his views and decisions related to teaching of software development (he did not know anything really about software development, except for some project management stuff as he was a project manager in IBM Australia, with an earlier career in electrical engineering after which he did a Ph.D. in Robotics related area in Australia).

I think it was essentially a human weakness issue when some people/coterie are in power and there are no mechanisms to hold them accountable. Sai university was a private university and so no accountability mechanisms at all for the public even though there was some accountability to UGC. All three of us - the VC, HOD and me were offering free service. So I think all three of us did not have to worry about "losing the job" as there was no financial impact to us.

Perhaps the HOD felt "divinely inspired" (you may be surprised at how much of such decisions in spiritual movements get decided by what are considered to be "divinely inspired" thoughts/ideas) that he rid the department of me, so that the dept. can focus on producing academic research papers and have minimal effort on teaching of mundane programming/software development. UGC/NAAC are not bothered about how well students are taught. They assess educational institutions on research publication output. Government research grants (big money besides prestige) are given based on research publication output.

I was least interested in academic research - only interested in teaching. So perhaps I was a misfit in academia. But my point is that they could have just told me that look we are not interested in your software development expertise and as you are not interested in publishing academic research papers, it is best that we part ways. That would have been a nice way for us to part ways.

I think the bottom line was that Sri Sathya Sai Vidya Vahini was a Sri Sathya Sai Central Trust funded project which Sathya Sai himself had shown interest in, and where TCS (the big software company) was associated. They could not flat out tell me to stop working on it because they did not like it. They perhaps were scared of how Central Trust would have reacted. So it led to horrible politics by HOD along with resignation threat which cornered the VC, and the VC may have then been advised by powermonger-dictator Narasimhamurthy to simply scream at me thereby silencing me. And that worked as the culture in Sai university when Swami was in physical form was to always be super-respectful to VC, and I continued to follow that a few months after Swami Mahasamadhi.

Note that academic qualifications wise, I was B.Sc. Physics, and so I could be given only Visiting Faculty designation and not a regular designation like Lecturer/Asst. Professor as that needed a Masters in associated field or Ph.D. And according to UGC rules, services of a "Visting Faculty" can be terminated without giving any reason. So essentially, from UGC point of view, the VC could throw me out, without any concern whatsoever!

But I got my own back in May 2012 as I cornered the VC and Registrar on a nasty thing the Sai university had done where they had shown me as "Teaching Assistant" instead of my designation of "Visting Faculty", in some QA document prepared by the university and submitted to UGC (or some other academic regulatory authority). While I had not known then that that was a criminal offence under the Indian Penal Code (record tampering), I knew that I had cornered them as I could complain about it to UGC and MHRD (Union Ministry of Human Resources Development). They may have done that as if they had said "Visiting Faculty" in that QA document, I would not have been counted as regular faculty and they might have wanted to show a high regular faculty count. So it was a cheap trick they used. There were 2 other persons who were offering free service like me and whose academic qualifications did not enable Sai university bosses to give a proper faculty designation and so "Visiting Faculty" was given to them officially - these 2 persons were also shown as "Teaching Assistants" with one of them being a Professor of Mechanical Engineering from IIT Madras who was teaching in Maths & Comp. Sc. dept of Sai university (UGC rules wise his Mechanical Engg. field may perhaps have been viewed as inappropriate for Maths & Computer Science field!).

In 2015/2016, I decided to publicly document my May 2012 correspondence and comments on the matter as a way to expose what the VC had done then (with the VC having been a key supporter of Muddenahalli group in a hidden way till Nov. 2014 when he stepped down as VC, and openly from then on), and as a way to bring some fear in Asathya-Adharma crooks in Sai university administration to follow the law of the land or else face the consequences. If you want to have a look at the loooong post here it is: My May 2012 service record & record tampering related correspondence with Sai university (SSSIHL) administrators, http://ravisiyer.blogspot.com/2015/11/my-may-2012-service-record-record.html.
...
I continued to live in Puttaparthi as I found that I could get out of the ashram system and lead an outside-ashram life which was agreeable to me. I found that outside ashram Puttaparthi was very suitable for my life after mid 2012.

About being calm now while talking about it: Well, I have been through the wringer, boss, especially when I contributed to exposing Muddenahalli group. So now I can look back at these things more calmly.
----

In response to a comment, I wrote:
You wrote, "Baba would have protected you had he been alive". I am sure of that based on my experience with Baba on some private matter in 2010.

My experience of Sathya Sai Baba has been that he was totally faithful to me in his role as Guru which is how I viewed him, in my period in PN from Oct. 2002 to April 2011 when he gave up his physical body.

He was loving (if I have not shared this with you, I can privately share a pic of Baba and me where he was loving towards me) when needed, angry when needed, and was always, always giving discourses on how to improve ourselves and progress spiritually, which have been ***hugely*** beneficial to me. Note that I have heard many of his discourses live in Sai Kulwant Hall, and today I feel that he sensed some of the doubts that I had at that time, and answered them in those discourses.

So while SSSIHL administration guys from vice-chancellor downwards have treated me badly, the founder-chancellor of SSSIHL, Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba, has always been fair to me, and I have gained enormously from a spiritual point of view from him!

This is the strange situation that I found myself in, in immediate post-Mahasamadhi days. One of the reasons I chose to continue on in Puttaparthi at least for a few years more then was to try to repay Sathya Sai in some small part, for the great spiritual benefits I got from him, by contributing  in a small way to somewhat peaceful transition in PN system and Puttaparthi town during the traumatic immediate post-Mahasamadhi days.

And I think that decision was the right one, as when Muddenahalli group did come out in the open in May 2014, I was well positioned as an ***independent*** outside ashram Puttaparthi resident and blogger (since Sept. 2011) to expose it on social media and contribute to reversing hijack of some part of PN ashram system including Sai university.
...
And I agree with you when you say, "If you were working for money, they would have easily controlled you with their games". I would have been offered a significant salary increase and a better designation. I would have taken it and become either a supporter of Narasimhamurthy or at least kept mum about Narasimhamurthy.
...
"Working under people who expect us to be yes-men is extremely stressful for independent minded people." - You are spot on! ... And the expectation of juniors to be yes-men may be couched in terms of "discipline", and dissent may be termed as "ego". ... I am very, very wary about the word "discipline" now as I have read about it being used to justify atrocious misuse of power by spiritual system bosses across the world. The Catholic church has some vow of obedience which has been used in some cases by priest-bosses to do really atrocious things to their juniors.
----

In response to a comment, I wrote:
Thanks for engaging with me on this bro.. My part of the comment exchange (not your part and with all references to you removed from my comments) will go into a Miscellaneous blog post (for month of Oct. 2019) on my blog. This is as part of my self-assumed role as one of the ***unofficial*** chroniclers of some parts of Sathya Sai movement. Your comments provided the stimulus for my response comments. So thanks again for the interest you have shown in this matter.
----

In response to a comment, I wrote:
No no, please don't feel bad about it. I have realized that my bit role as part chronicler of some parts of Sathya Sai movement is or may be an important role, from viewpoint of spiritual movements in future.

You may wonder why I say so. Well, as I saw the madness grip PN system after Swami Mahasamadhi, I started studying what happened after Shirdi Sai Mahasamadhi, after Ramana Maharshi mahasamadhi and also after Jesus Christ crucifixion. I had already known of the absolutely devastating things that happened after Krishna gave up his body. That was super-horrible.

In the context of 20th century, which we can relate to better, I made a lot of efforts in primarily Internet based research to know what happened after Shirdi Sai and Ramana Mahasamadhi. I got only limited information. It was a struggle to get it. But even that limited information was very useful for me to come to grips with what was happening in PN system.

Abdul Baba who used to clean Shirdi Baba's masjid, started posing as Shirdi Sai Baba in immediate post-Mahasamadhi period there! Perhaps his source of income dried up as there was no dakshina coming to Shirdi Sai Baba which would result in him getting some money! One of the respected and well educated elder devotees asked Abdul Baba to put a stop to it.

Ramana ashram income dropped drastically after Ramana Mahasamadhi. I read that food for the community meals being provided there became scarce! It required some changes in Ramana ashram system/routine to get devotees to come and donations to be made.

SBI bank manager told me in the months after Sathya Sai Mahasamadhi that donation to Sathya Sai trust had come down to zero!

Survival instinct among humans is a very powerful one. When people feel that their survival is threatened, they can behave in very selfish ways. Outside ashram Puttaparthi economy was absolutely devastated for not just months but a few years after Sathya Sai Mahasamadhi. The ashram itself seemed desolate and empty! Sanathana Sarathi subscription plunged!

I think, for paid ashram staff whose families depended on their income, economic survival became top priority. Questioning decisions of people like the Vice-chancellor would have directly threatened the paid job of Sai university employees. Just follow orders and ensure that one's job is safe. Mad fellows like Anilkumar Kamaraju sir and me chose to question the bosses of Sai university and paid the price by being thrown out. Nobody in Sai university could come to our defense as they were scared that they too might lose their jobs.

Forget about Sathya, Dharma, Shanti, Prema and all that - focus on retaining job and earning salary without angering big boss Vice-chancellor, and dictator Narasimhamurthy. That's what became the attitude.

Chronicling this as one of the unfortunate, but understandable from human survival point of view, attitude of Sai university paid employees, is important, for current & future understanding of Sathya Sai Avatar and Sathya Sai movement. When compared to the horrific things that happened after Krishna gave up his body, these things are minor. Nobody lost his life due to this madness. All survived in some way or the other. Sathya, Dharma, Shanti, Prema values took a hit but that can recover over the years.

Maybe when Prema Sai Avatar takes Mahasamadhi and there is some chaos there, some guys then may be wanting to know in depth what happened after Sathya Sai Mahasamadhi. This kind of information being chronicled - I put up my blog data on archive.org as well - may be helpful to them then, if archive.org and/or my blog continues to be around then.
----
=============================

Fascinating to see a video clip of Dalai Lama in India in 1959 after fleeing Tibet that had been invaded by the Chinese army then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lounJuTaiSc, 2 min. 21 secs.
=============

Very interesting read for those who are into deep spiritual and religious matters: Mariam Thresia Chiramel, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariam_Thresia_Chiramel.

She lived from 1876 to 1926 and was based in a village in Thrissur district of Kerala.

My ancestors on my father's side were also based in the same Thrissur district of Kerala but were associated with the Hindu temple of Koodalmanikyam in Irinjalakuda.

It is wonderful that this devout lady from this place has now been canonized as a saint by Pope Francis.
...
Who is Mariam Thresia, The Fourth Indian to Be Canonised? | The Quint, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwljrrR4TIY, 1 min. 49 secs. published on 13th Oct. 2019.
============

Sai Ram! Wonderful to see this in Chile! (Video is less than a minute.)
[Shared FB video link: https://www.facebook.com/sathyasaichile/videos/1349688765207579/]
============

Interesting! Good to see Roman Catholic Church discuss such ethical/moral issues with some leaders of the computing field.

[Shared article link: Pope Francis warns Silicon Valley that if it isn't careful with AI it could lead to an 'unfortunate regression to a form of barbarism', https://www.businessinsider.in/science/news/pope-francis-warns-silicon-valley-that-if-it-isnt-careful-with-ai-it-could-lead-to-an-unfortunate-regression-to-a-form-of-barbarism/articleshow/71379105.cms.]

Comments

Archive

Show more