Mrs. Tarabai Tarkhad's description of how Shirdi Sai Baba would effortlessly know what is in people's minds

On (printed book) page 30 & 31 of The Incredible Sai Baba by Arthur Osborne, (book pdf link: https://muddypractice.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/the-incredible-sai-baba-arthur-osborne.pdf), author Osborne references statements made by a Mrs. Manager, whom he, it seems, mistakenly refers to as a Parsi lady. Osborne referred to B.V. Narasimha Swami's Devotee experiences book where the author mentions that Mrs Manager is a pseudonym.

From http://bonjanrao.blogspot.com/2012/12/mrstarabai-sadasiv-tarkhad.html we know that Mrs Manager is actually Mrs.TARABAI SADASIV TARKHAD. It states, "When she was interviewed by B.V.Narasimhaswamiji in 1936, she was also called as ‘Mrs.Manager’". This seems to be how Osborne mistakenly presumed that her real name was Mrs Manager (and further presumed that it is a Parsi lady as he may have thought that Manager is a Parsi surname).

What is important for us is what Mrs. Tarabai Tarkhad who had direct experiences of Shirdi Sai Baba, said to B.V. Narasimha Swami, which is what Osborne reproduced in his book. And those words are:

'One noticeable difference between Sai Baba and other saints struck me. I have visited other notable saints also and have seen them in a state of trance or samadhi in which they were entirely oblivious of their body. Then I have seen them recovering consciousness of their surroundings, knowing what is in our hearts and replying to our questions. But with Sai Baba there was this peculiar difference - he did not need to go into samadhi in order to achieve anything or to attain any higher status or knowledge. He was every moment exercising a dual consciousness - one actively utilizing the ego called Sri Sai Baba and dealing with other egos in temporal or spiritual affairs and the other transcending all ego and abiding in the state of Universal Soul. He was constantly exercising and manifesting the powers and features proper to both states of consciousness. Other saints would forget their body and surroundings and then return to them, but Sai Baba was constantly both in and outside the material world. Others seemed to take pains and make efforts to read the contents of people's minds and tell them their past history, but with Sai Baba no effort was needed. He was always in the all-knowing state.' 
Ravi: I would like to add that I have had some experiences with Sathya Sai Baba (physical form) where he, like in above description of Mrs Tarabai Tarkhad, effortlessly would know what is in my mind (heart). He would just know and his facial gestures or other actions would show me, without any possibility of doubt, that he could read my mind (heart) through and through. It was quite scary when I first experienced that power of Sathya Sai (physical form) in early 2003 as I had some foolish thoughts and he got angry with me then, but slowly I got used to it, and he gave me (and all others who had such experiences of him, I guess) the time to get used to that. At darshan time, there was nothing that I could hide from him - I just knew that my life is an open book to him. And so, on those days when he would look at me during darshan, how he would look at me was a very important indicator to me of whether he was pleased with me or displeased with me or had a neutral look showering His Grace on me by looking at me for brief seconds or split-seconds. It was as simple as that for me, especially in the years of 2010 & initial part of 2011 (till he got admitted to Super hospital in March 2011), when I was into some intense spiritual stuff!

Comments

Archive

Show more