Are passionate activists, including spiritual org. activists, inherently undemocratic?

Last updated on 23rd April 2015

A correspondent who is a low income community venture capital fund co-founder wrote in a mail response which she agreed to share publicly, as follows (slightly edited): "Whether it is (some well known activists), when you are very passionate about something and give it all, you see only one way of doing things to the exclusion of every other perspective. It then becomes my way or the highway. I am not sure if this is an issue of ego or just passion for their perspective. When I meet activists in my career, while I admire their devotion, I find it very difficult to have a two way conversation. They immediately put you on my side or my enemy. It is very difficult to build a large functioning organization with just activists. I have nothing against activists. I think they are the pillars of free society. But you cannot expect them to create functioning democratic organizations."

I responded as follows (slightly edited):

Super response.

Based on my exposure to one such organization I think I can say that charitable and spiritual service organization leaders (as against general followers & workers) are typically passionate activists. They have great energy and passion for their work in the organization. BUT, for many of these leaders (I repeat, as against general followers & workers), it is my way or the highway! If you dare to strongly argue with them for different approaches then as (you) put it, "They immediately put you on my side or my enemy."

However, what I have learned over time, is that even in a charitable & spiritual organization, success in the organization activities matters. So, if a passionate and energetic leader is convinced that his (or perhaps her too, but I have not interacted much with women leaders of such organizations) way is the right way and is dismissive of opposition/dissent, then one should bide one's time. Eventually the flaws of the leader's approach lead to some failures which makes the leader humble. That's the time to drive home the opposing arguments and force the leader to change course.

--- end my response ---

--------------------------------------------------------------------

23rd April 2015 Update

This blog post got featured in an online spiritual daily (blog post aggregator type) here: http://paper.li/GoodBlogPosts2/1309693268?edition_id=e6e62590-e8fd-11e4-ad60-002590a5ba2d, for the date 22nd April 2015, under the World category.

Comments

Archive

Show more