Miscellaneous Facebook posts & comments in June 2019

When author of post or comment is not mentioned, it should be assumed that it is me (Ravi S. Iyer).

Update: To save time, I am usually not providing my FB post links but only contents. I am also not hyperlinking links. So readers will have to copy-paste links from this post onto a browser link box and then browse to that link.


I am working, in snatches of time here and there, on a post on an awesome dance performance by a small girl with most of the audio for the dance coming from parts of the Sathyam Shivam Sundaram song. As I played that song on youtube, youtube showed this Western Sufi group singing that song. I enjoyed this rendition. Thought I should share it right away.

Satyam Shivam Sundaram by Sufi Soul Sangeet, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOMpZ5eFKhA, 6 min. 5 secs, published in 2017

============================
Violence against one lone Muslim (on allegation of being a thief) by many Hindus in the name of Shri Ram, as has been reported in the media about the tragic incident in Jharkhand (see https://indianexpress.com/article/india/jharkhand-lynching-assault-case-tabrez-ansari-police-hindutva-muslim-5797963/) has to be condemned. The life of Shri Ram was a noble one where he protected the good and the weak. So I approve of this cartoon. https://www.cartoonistsatish.com/not-in-my-name/

An update: Just saw part of a video of a news channel interviewing the tragic victim Tabrez Ansari's relatives about action taken so far. While the relatives seem satisfied that justice is being done (around 11 people have been arrested as per that video), some of what the relative said about the mob lynching was too much for me to bear (and so I am not sharing the video). I pray to Allah to shower His Grace on Tabrez Ansari (he died in prison or when he was in the hospital) and give courage and strength to Tabrez Ansari's relatives to bear this horrific pain. ... Hopefully the govt. will arrange for decent compensation to be given to the widow of Tabrez Ansari, as she seems to have been completely dependent on Tabrez Ansari for livelihood.

Note that this area is said to have some Naxalite related attacks too, and so this area seems to be a rough area with police presence not being strong.
=====================================

In https://www.facebook.com/terry.reiskennedy/posts/10220008069410866 I wrote (slightly edited):
--Name-snipped-- - I am glad to see that you are seeking further information on this. I don't have any information. But I followed this event then on international TV channels. Fukushima was a Level 7 nuclear disaster (only Chernobyl matches that), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_Daiichi_nuclear_disaster.

I did not hear or see any reference to Sathya Sai in the coverage of Fukushima that I saw on TV or in the print media that I read then. I think we need to be very careful in promoting the view put forward in this post so long as we do not find names of people who say that they heard Swami say that.

If somebody who was physically close to Swami heard Swami say that, and is wiling to be named - then great. If not, then I think such a claim has the potential to cause embarrassment. In particular I think official Japan Sai organization view on this should be taken into consideration.

I repeat, Fukushima disaster is on the highest level of nuclear disaster levels (of IAEA). This was a major, major disaster which ***terrified*** many then as to how big the nuclear fallout could be. It ranks with Chernobyl! And Chernobyl was very, very, very bad.
-----

I wrote (slightly edited):
--Name-snipped-- - Sairam sir! Thank you so much for commenting on this post with your understanding of the matter. If Sanathana Sarathi or any official Prasanthi Nilayam orgn. published Fukushima nuclear disaster matter and Swami saying something about Him helping to reduce the damage, in their magazines/website, then that becomes a powerful source. ... Also your statement, sir, "The main reasons i am posting about Swamy Leelas is it is very much known fact that these days faith in Swamy is getting diliuted and devotees are looking for alternatives." is very helpful and I do appreciate this work that you are doing.

Perhaps Japan Sai orgn. should be contacted and their view should be taken on this matter. Thanks. Jai Sai Ram!
-----

I wrote (slightly edited):
--Name-snipped-- There is no doubt that we are very fortunate to have experienced the love, spiritual wisdom, grace and glory of Sathya Sai Avatar. Thank you for the blessings sir! Jai Sai Ram!

-----
I wrote (slightly edited):
Perhaps I should say something more here. I don't think what Shri --Name-snipped-- has said with respect to Fukushima nuclear disaster and Swami role in containing the damage, can currently be accepted as verified truth. I mean, we don't have a clear source.

Some folks including Shri Ranganath have conveyed that as the truth - I saw some other person putting up the same/similar matter on Facebook. 

I think they have the freedom to express their views. Note that some persons claim to have special, perhaps paranormal, insight into such matters.

I respect the right of Shri Bellur K. Ranganath to write these posts on Facebook based on what he is convinced is the truth, even if he is not in a position to share authentic sources for that.

It is up to readers whether they would like to accept that as fact or not. As I said earlier, I don't think it can be accepted as fact, as of now. But that's my personal view. Others may hold different views.
-----

I wrote (slightly edited):

I should also say that I think --name-snipped-- was also right in seeking to know the source of the info. (about Fukushima disaster and Swami saying that he had contained the damage).
...
IMHO, we have to be aware that such a claim could be embarrassing if shared widely on our Facebook community as verified truth. ... But Shri --name-snipped-- states that he has read it in print even though he cannot locate the source of that now. Given that statement from him, I think that he cannot be faulted for putting up the post. But neither can those who are not wiling to accept it as verified truth (me being one of them and perhaps --name-snipped-- being another) be faulted.
----

I wrote (slightly edited):
--Name-snipped-- - Shri --name-snipped-- quoted Swami as having said, "To save humanity I have to interfere and put an end to this threat. This effort may cause danger to my life. But there is no other alternative". That is what makes it a big, big claim.

The analysis in the book you mentioned seems to be different. No quotes of Swami in this context.

I doubt whether Shri --name-snipped-- was referring to an analysis like what seems to be in the book you mentioned. I think he was referring to reading the Swami quote in print somewhere (with that somewhere being presumed to be a noted source/medium of Sai literature like Sanathana Sarathi).
----

I wrote (slightly edited):
This article, https://www.speakingtree.in/blog/narendra-modi-as-pm-sai-baba-prediction, is an example of a Swami quote (in 2004 about Modi becoming PM in future) shared by an alumnus who was personally serving Swami then, on Twitter (in 2014 when Modi first became PM). I view this as the truth and have even put up a blog post on it. The alumnus (Arun) is well known in alumni circles and so it comes across as a truthful report of what Swami said to Arun.

On the Fukushima disaster we do not have anything like that. It is really in the air. And note that in March 2011, if Swami did say that, in all probability the close servitors of Swami then (mostly alumni) would know of it, as Swami's words then could not be understood easily. So some close servitor would have heard it/understood it. If that person's name is known (like in Arun case above), it becomes easy to cross-check for those in (or in touch with) alumni circles (I am no longer in touch with alumni circles but many others on FB are).
----

======================================================
https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/2517442885138940

I saw the related video of the preacher (also detective) on this link, http://tnholler.com/2019/06/knox-county-sheriffs-detective-wants-lgbt-people-executed/, that's shared by the NYT article.

I am shocked to see the level of homophobia in this preacher in Tennessee, USA. He says so openly in his sermon that homosexuals should be put to death.

Hmm. Somehow I did not expect to see such a preacher video in the USA in 2019. I guess I was naive about the level of homophobia that is there in some quarters of even USA society.

I unequivocally condemn this preacher's horrific hatred towards homosexuals where he demands the death penalty for them going by literal interpretation of scripture.

BTW I am NOT gay/homosexual. Further, I believe marriage is between a man and a woman, and I support sexual relations between man and woman rather than homosexual relations. But I am tolerant towards gay/homosexuals especially when the law of the land is tolerant towards them. And I abhor homophobia of the sort that this USA preacher-cum-detective has shown in this sermon.

=====================================================
https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/2516423235240905

USA Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard and her husband sing Hare Krishna (song) in festival in New York City, (singing is from around 3 min. 30 secs) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GRNXTSwVVY, 16 min. 28 secs, published on 8th June 2019

=====================================================
https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/2516039418612620

"Each of us... must rededicate ourselves to serving the common good... Our individual fates are linked, our futures intertwined. And if we act in that knowledge and in that spirit, together, as the Bible says, we can move mountains." –Jimmy Carter. https://twitter.com/museumofBible/status/1139708103207919617

======================================================
https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/2513180412231854

I am shocked that this happened in Scotland. I mean, this is not an isolated incident. It is years & years of abuse. And the 'satanic parties' fueled by drink (alcohol, one presumes) is just absolutely horrifying in a church managed institution.

I have happy memories of interactions with a few young Scottish (Glasgow) people in the 1980s in Brussels, Belgium. Essentially, they were fun loving but good people. So I would never have believed that such things could happen in a church institution in Scotland. But this seems to be based on witness testimony to a Scottish govt. child abuse inquiry that the BBC has reported. So I think there must be at least some truth to the report.

'He [Mr. Sharp who seems to be now based in Glasgow] left the home aged 16 without "any memory other than continually being abused".' ... 'It was then that he found out he had a family, but he did not settle and became dependent on drugs and alcohol.'

The Scottish govt. should ensure that justice is served to Mr. Sharp. My God! What a waste of a life that was entrusted to the Church to raise in a proper way! What a betrayal!

The Scottish govt. should ensure that no staff, whether priests or lay people, in church institution run homes in Scotland, dare to commit child sexual abuse in the future. That they are associated with the church should not give them any leniency whatsoever! Child sexual abuse by church institution staff is a horrific and disgusting mockery of the life & teachings of Lord Jesus Christ!

Thanks to Terry Reis Kennedy for sharing this report.

[Shared link: Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry: Boys raped by priests at 'satanic parties',   https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-48559590]

================================================
https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/2506886376194591

I felt it appropriate to inform my Facebook readers that --name-snipped-- has unfriended me. I think that is best for her and for me, at least as of now. I wish her well in her spiritual path.

I request that no comments be made on this post as I think some comments may lead to the matter getting emotionally inflamed which I want to avoid. I will be deleting any comments that are made on this post - after Swami Mahasamadhi in April 2011 I have seen and been through just too much emotional upheaval in my circle of friends in Sathya Sai fraternity and so I want to go the extra mile to prevent this particular matter from getting emotionally inflamed.

I repeat that I wish --name-snipped-- well in her spiritual path.

Samastha Loka Sukhino Bhavantu
Samastha Loka Sukhino Bhavantu
Samastha Loka Sukhino Bhavantu

Om Shanti Shanti Shantihi

Jai Sai Ram!
----

=========================================================
On an FB post about Russill Paul's chant videos (e.g. Russill Paul - Rudram, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiS8SQGbE9g)

I wrote: Interesting! Great voice for the Vedic chants and his pronunciation seems to be excellent. The background music adds pleasantness. .... Need to also mention that Vedic puritans may prefer the raw chants without background music. ... But I liked it.

BTW I come from a Sama Veda family background though I personally never learned Sama Veda chanting and only participated in the rituals that priests would conduct.

If you have not heard traditional Sama Veda chants here is one example (interested folks can just view it for a few minutes as it is a longish video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSLnr3_gkVA
----

Here is some traditional Yajur Veda chants by Pandits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS7PUIZfu_w, 9 min 39 secs.
----

Here's a nice Sama Veda chanting session by pandits. Note that after the initial prayer they chant the first verse of the Veda (Rig Veda) - Agnimeele Purohitam - in what seems to be Sama Veda chant style. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ8CLL6ucy4
----

=================================================
https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/2506531522896743

Dadar railway station is an important railway station (and connects commuters from Central & Western Railway) in Mumbai. It serves as a station for both suburban (local) trains and long-distance trains.

I have memories of Dadar area and its railway station that stretch over most of the first four decades of my life!

So I was very happy to see these pics of Sathya Sai orgn. blood donation camp at Dadar, with some of the pics showing Dadar railway station with volunteers holding placards inviting people to donate blood.

[Shared Link: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO2xNVQ4nmrsaqvmuxaccMd11LFZYGDRGRQM9T0fEJn-oXNW-Xry4QTsQ7286MHGA?key=VHZmd1pGNkdpYnZjVlVPcHFrN0hjd1dVcWtmVkln]

================================================
https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/2506325209584041

Less than 2 min video. I am glad to see sitting CM of Andhra Pradesh, who is of the Christian faith, pay respects in this nice manner to a Hindu spiritual head. Note that this post was shared on the AP CM's Facebook Timeline.

Please note that I have a PUBLICLY POLITICALLY NEUTRAL role in these social media posts. I am not a supporter of any particular political party. I am only expressing my support and appreciation for some actions of the duly elected Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh which is the state where I live in now and have been living in for over 16 years.

https://www.facebook.com/ysjagan/videos/906574103011380/

======================================================
Given below are some comments of mine (slightly edited) in early June 2019 on some FB post-thread:

I support --name-snipped-- and --name-snipped-- and others here on the need to call out --name-snipped--'s behaviour in our Facebook community so as to warn others to be careful in their dealings with him. There was a period when --name-snipped-- and I interacted heavily on combating Muddenahalli group spiritual fraud  perhaps in 2015 & 2016. I also have to acknowledge that --name-snipped--'s aggression against MDH then was helpful to our cause as MDH group were very powerful then on social media and used all kinds of pressure including bullying on Facebook to try to silence those of us who were active in exposing MDH group fraud.

Later things turned sour between --name-snipped-- and me. And once they turned sour, I saw a nasty side of --name-snipped-- which was now targeting me. Based on --name-snipped-- and me having worked together on social media in the past, I tried to tolerate --name-snipped--'s nastiness towards me for some time by protesting against it but not going to the extent of unfriending him.

As it got worse, I decided to unfriend him. Later, he used cuss words against me (on --name-snipped--'s post which --name-snipped-- later deleted) and rather than demonstrating to him that I can use cuss words as well as he can, I chose the more spiritually appropriate step of blocking him which essentially made his words about me on Facebook go out of my sight.

The reason why I have shared the above is that I felt I need to say this, to contribute my bit in publicly calling out his bad behaviour which may help some innocent people on Facebook to handle his bad behaviour in a better way.

Having said that, I think we need to cool down things between --name-snipped-- and --name-snipped--.

I think we all have our flaws. I certainly do.

I think opinions have been expressed freely here between --name-snipped-- and --name-snipped--. Perhaps now is the time to cool it and let time do the introspection, acceptance of one's mistakes and eventual healing and improvement. It is not easy to accept that one is at fault in a public Facebook conversation and that applies to me too - I am just a struggling spiritual aspirant with my fair share of human flaws.

My prayers to our beloved and revered Lord, Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba, that things cool down now, and let time do the healing.
---

In response to a comment, I wrote:
--name-snipped-- - Enjoy your chai (tea). I will make a cup of chai for myself now and enjoy it too.
Samastha Loka Sukhino Bhavantu
Samastha Loka Sukhino Bhavantu
Samastha Loka Sukhino Bhavantu
Om Shanti Shanti Shantihi
---

I wrote:
Praying for peace ... Om Shanti Shanti Shantihi, while sipping and enjoying my chai!
---

Comments

Archive

Show more