Sanathana Sarathi May 2019: Elsie Cowan's article, "Life and joy for all" gives very interesting details of Walter Cowan's resurrection

Last updated on 22nd July 2019

The resurrection of Walter Cowan is a well known incident among Sathya Sai devotees. Here is the article on it from John Hislop's My Baba and I book, put up on SSSCT website: http://www.srisathyasai.org.in/Pages/Devotees_Experiences/Resurrection_WalterCowan.htm.

I had read the above article (in John Hislop's book). But I don't think I had read (or do not recall it) Elsie Cowan's version of the miracle. I found Elsie Cowan's article to be straight-forward. I get the impression that (in the article) she is just "telling it like it is".

Elsie Cowan writes that (in December 1971) her husband Walter Cowan collapsed in their hotel room in Madras (Chennai now) and that an eminent doctor who had been brought in to examine him, declared him (Walter Cowan) dead. An ambulance was called to take Mr. Cowan to a hospital where the hospital doctor also declared him dead, and Mr. Cowan was covered with a sheet with cotton wool put in his ears and nostrils. Note that Elsie Cowan had not accompanied Mr. Cowan to the hospital (she seems to have felt that it was divine will and that Mr. Cowan had reached Bhagavan's feet).

Accompanied by another person, Mrs. Cowan went to have Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba's darshan. Bhagavan told Mrs. Cowan, "Walter lives". Mrs. Cowan was spellbound! Bhagavan further said, "Go back to the hospital. I will come at ten o'clock."

When Mrs. Cowan reached the hospital, she found Walter Cowan to be alive! Mrs. Cowan writes in this article, 'Though I couldn't understand it, I wasn't surprised. Because, when Baba said, "Walter lives", I believed it absolutely. His words had produced such a strong faith that I could not think of death at all in connection with Walter. Baba told me later: "It was your faith in Me and My words that held the healing; it was through that faith that I could reach him"'.

Baba came to the hospital at ten o'clock and rubbed Walter's chest and back. Mrs. Cowan writes that then there was more life in Walter.

Now, interestingly, some time after Baba left, the hospital doctor came into the room and told Mrs. Cowan, "He can't live. He is dead. I will go with you and take the body away. I have the necessary permit."

Mrs. Cowan got angry with the doctor and rebuffed him. The doctor eventually went out.

Walter Cowan took a lot of time to recover. Mrs. Cowan writes that he died three times. She then writes, 'Each time, as soon as I cried out, "Baba, Baba, Baba, Walter is going", Baba stood there, in the hospital room, before me, and brought Walter back, by rubbing his chest and back. Walter was discharged from the hospital after twenty-two days. He was able to walk down the stairs'.

Ravi: It is wonderful to read Mrs. Elsie Cowan's account of Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba bringing back life to Mr. Walter Cowan, and that being due to the deep faith she had in Bhagavan. Deep faith in Bhagavan provided the environment for the miracle to happen!

The Sanathana Sarathi article states that it is excerpted from "Miracles of Divine Love - Volume 1".
====================================================

Walter Cowan speaks about his account in this video: https://vimeo.com/83246106, 5 min. 25 secs. Elsie Cowan speaks only a little in this video.

[I thank Sanathana Sarathi and the author & publisher of "Miracles of Divine Love - Volume 1" and have presumed that they will not have any objections to me sharing the above extract(s) from their article on this post which is freely viewable by all, and does not have any financial profit motive whatsoever.]

Comments

Archive

Show more