Bigotry/intolerance of some people who may think they are great musicians/singers, towards folksy type of devotional music & songs, is worthy of contempt

As I got more deeper into religion over the past few years, I saw the wide diversity of modes of worship and adoration of God through song and music, across various groups/classes of people in India, including in Christianity.

I deliberately play various kinds of devotional music on festival days, if I can spare the time, on my speakers connected to computer so as to fill my small flat with the vibrations.

This helps me get more familiar and more open to worship of God through music styles that ordinarily I would not listen much to. Today I am ***respectful*** of Indian village style song & music adoration of God, including in Christian tradition. I certainly don't look down upon it in any way.

However, very unfortunately, I see that some people who may think they are great singers and musicians in India not only look down but express contempt in some manner, upon such village style song & music adoration of God, including in Christian tradition.

I think people are entitled to their choices and opinions about various styles & genres of music & songs, even Christian music. But public expression of contempt at genres of Christian music & songs (or devotional music & songs of other religions) that one does not like, is, in my considered opinion (hope this does not offend some readers), worthy of contempt.

As an example that may make sense to Western readers, let us look at this rap (hip hop) Christian song, Flame - Joyful Noise, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCcW-guAs_s. It may not appeal to some Western Christians and they may want to avoid listening to it. That's fine. But what they should not do, is publicly express contempt for this style of Christian song and music (if some words in the song are inappropriate then that's different).

Now let's look at the Indian language (Tamil) Christian song: GG3 | PUTHUSU, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYVnwwwvQO0. This music and song style may not appeal to many listeners of Christian Tamil music or more generally, Indian language devotional music. If they want to avoid listening to it, that's fine. But if somebody else puts on that music or plays that kind of music, they should not publicly express contempt. If they do, then I think (hope this does not offend some readers) they are worthy of contempt.

I am realizing that bigotry/intolerance even in devotional music & song field is a big thing. I mean, I thought that people into devotional music either as listeners or as performers (musicians/singers), would not be that bigoted and would be more large-hearted. Now dislike is different from bigotry/intolerance. Public expression of contempt is what gets somebody into bigotry/intolerance level, and not dislike which is fine.

In my case, I ***respect*** all these genres of devotional music. In particular, I respect both the rap and Tamil Christian songs above. In my ongoing endeavour to broaden my understanding of religion and what interests various people in religion, I play such songs on my loud speaker on appropriate festival days which is when I expect others to be tolerant of my playing such songs loud (during daytime) like I am tolerant of loud congregational singing in other people's flats. And this has helped me to better appreciate these songs and get better understanding of how these songs appeal to a particular audience which is into that kind of music.

Comments

Archive

Show more