My comment on Dr. Shashi Tharoor's 'Why I am a Hindu' short promotional video

Last updated on 12th Sept. 2018

Dr. Shashi Tharoor, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shashi_Tharoor, has recently published a book titled 'Why I am Hindu'. Further note that he is an Indian politician from Congress party and this book publication may have something to do with the upcoming 2019 General Elections in India where the Congress is one of the major parties opposing the ruling BJP party and its allies. Please note that I have a PUBLICLY POLITICALLY NEUTRAL role in these social media posts that I put up related to Indian political leaders which may include leaders in government currently and those not in government. I am an Indian citizen and resident of India. I do vote in Indian elections but I keep who I vote for as a private matter.

Here's the comment I put up in Dr. Tharoor's Facebook video post,  https://www.facebook.com/ShashiTharoor/videos/617885205272899/ (4 min. video):

My initial reaction is that Dr. Shashi Tharoor is over-simplifying Hinduism and is projecting a view of Hinduism which may be that of a small minority of intellectuals who are into Hindu traditions but are doubtful about existence of a divine power (God) that has created the universe including Dr. Shashi Tharoor (mind-body complex of Dr. Tharoor). Perhaps such intellectuals may even be more doubtful about whether this divine power ever intervenes in worldly affairs (miraculous, supernatural intervention) to help the devotee who prays to this divine power to help him/her. I wonder whether Dr. Shashi Tharoor has said anything about whether he believes in divine power (God) (interventionist or non-interventionist divine power).

My view is that while Hinduism does not have one agreed upon sacred book that is worshipped by all, a majority of Hindus are reverential towards at least some among these core scriptural books of Hinduism: Veda, Vedanta, various Puranas including Bhagavat Purana, Mahabharata and Ramayana.

Very importantly, I think that the vast majority of Hindus believe in divine power though some may have doubts about whether such divine power responds to prayer in this day and age. I also think most Hindus believe in Karma and reincarnation though some may have some doubts about it.

While Hinduism does not have a Pope, like the Christian protestant faiths (who do not follow the Pope), Hinduism does have a variety of spiritual centres of learning and practice (Maths like Sankara maths and various Hindu ashrams founded by Hindu spiritual leaders). I would say that Christian Protestant ministries are like Hindu ashrams/spiritual groups in that regard. The Christian Protestant ministry has preachers who preach their faith to their congregation. Similary Hindu ashram/spiritual group leaders preach about their understanding of Hindu faith to their congregation. Such Hindu ashram/spiritual group congregations/followers revere their leaders as spiritual masters/Gurus very much like Christian Protestant ministry followers revere their Pastors as spiritual guides.

Now many Hindus may not directly associate with any Hindu ashram/spiritual group, but they usually do have the temples that they are comfortable with, and visit often. Note that those Hindus who are 'nominal' Hindus may not visit any temple (as a believer as against an agnostic/atheist tourist) but then they are simply following some Hindu traditions and may not really have faith in God.

In terms of highest philosophical understanding of Hinduism, the Prasthana Trayee, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prasthanatrayi, namely the Upanishads (Vedanta), Brahma Sutra and the Bhagavad Geeta are viewed as the key texts. Dr. Tharoor's comments in the above video do not mention these texts at all!
==========================================================

I made the following comment responses in my comment thread on the above mentioned Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/ShashiTharoor/videos/617885205272899/?comment_id=617999435261476&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R4%22%7D :

In response to comment that the video is an excerpt from his book and that while my critique of the video was apt, I should read the book first, I (Ravi) responded:
Well, time to read the entire book is a challenge.
----

In response to comment, "Very well articulated. A very crisp description of the practice of Hinduism today." I (Ravi) wrote (slightly edited): --Name-snipped-- - I presume you are referring to my views. If so, thanks.

The person responded with a "Yes Ravi" and an additional sentence as a comment.

Comments

Archive

Show more