Have decided to inform petition signers that I will be sharing the petition signature data with Sathya Sai fraternity via social media, requesting those who don't want their signature data to be shared to let me know

Given below are the reasons why I now feel it is ethical (fair) for me to share petition signature data (name, city & country, comments) provided to me by change.org, with the Sathya Sai fraternity. However, I will provide an option to signers to write to me if they don't want their signature date to be shared with Sathya Sai fraternity.

1) How does change.org help/guide documentation suggest using the petition and signatures?

From http://guide.change.org/decision-makers

Print your petition or download a digital copy onto a flash drive or CD and bring it with you. Being able to show the decision-maker the signatures and comments of your supporters is a powerful argument.

--- end extract from http://guide.change.org/decision-makers ---

Now our petition is directed to: Sathya Sai devotee fraternity worldwide including alumni and staff of Sai educational institutions

Therefore it is logical to share the petition signatures and comments with the Sathya Sai devotee fraternity worldwide including alumni and staff of Sai educational institutions. That can be done by publicly sharing it on social media.

2) While signing the petition, by default the checkbox field labelled "Display my name and comment on this petition" is checked (on). So the change.org signing form and process specifically informs the petition signatory that his/her name and comment will be displayed in the petition UNLESS, it seems to me, he/she unchecks the checkbox field. [I have made a test signature to check this out, where I have unchecked the checkbox field. So when I generate a report of signatures from change.org, say tomorrow, if my understanding is right, I should NOT see this test signature-name in it.]

Therefore I think it is ethical to share these petition signature-names along with place information and comments that change.org provides me with those the petition is directed to: Sathya Sai devotee fraternity worldwide including alumni and staff of Sai educational institutions.
----

Modifications I will make in the petition, which I will also include in a petition update

Petition signers should please note that while signing the petition, they see a checkbox field labelled "Display my name and comment on this petition". By default this checkbox is checked/On. If they don't want their name (and city/town & country) and comment to be displayed/shared in the petition, then they ***MUST*** uncheck this checkbox.

Petition signers should further note that as the petition has been addressed to Sathya Sai devotee fraternity worldwide including alumni and staff of Sai educational institutions, the petition signature data (name, city/town & country, and comments) provided to me, the petition creator, by change.org, will be shared with the Sathya Sai devotee fraternity via public posts on social media.

This is how change.org gives my own signature data in the PDF file it generates and allows me to download:
Name Location Date
Ravi S. Iyer Puttaparthi, India 2018-12-30

Also see attached pic which show part of page 1 and page 2 of the PDF file with most names except mine, masked out.

If any petition signer has NOT unchecked the "Display my name and comment on this petition" while signing the petition, but would NOT like his/her name (and city/town & country and comments) to be shared with the Sathya Sai fraternity on social media, they may please request that by writing to me at my public email id: ravi@raviiyer.org .

---- end modifications I will make in original petition ... ----

Ravi: In this post I have provided two separate pics of part of page 1 and page 2 of the change.org signatures PDF file. In the petition update I think I will have to combine the two pics into one, or provide an external link to them.

[To open pic in higher resolution, right-click on pic followed by open link (NOT image) in new tab/window. In new tab/window you may have to click on pic to zoom in.]



Comments

Archive

Show more