Paramahamsa Yogananda quotes on understanding death

In an FB comment I came across this link giving Paramahamsa Yogananda's quotes on understanding death http://www.yogananda-srf.org/HowtoLive/Understanding_Death_and_Loss.aspx.

I particularly liked, "At death, you forget all the limitations of the physical body and realize how free you are. For the first few seconds there is a sense of fear — fear of the unknown, of something unfamiliar to the consciousness. But after that comes a great realization: the soul feels a joyous sense of relief and freedom. You know that you exist apart from the mortal body." Such teachings reduce one of the big fears of earthly life - that of death.
---------------

When I shared the above as a comment I got a response that many Westerners do not believe in life after death. A link to this article, "Life after death? Largest-ever study provides evidence that 'out of body' and 'near-death' experiences may be real", http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/life-after-death-largestever-study-provides-evidence-that-out-of-body-and-neardeath-experiences-may-actually-be-real-9780195.html, dated Oct. 2014, was also provided.

I commented as follows (slightly edited):
I found this aspect of many Westerners very different from my beliefs. As a youth I too was skeptical about the miracles reported in holy scripture not only of Hinduism but also of other religions like Christianity, but Advaita philosophy and Bhagavad Geetha teachings about immortal soul which outlives death was a deeply held belief for me (even as a youth). I can understand Westerners doubting miracles but that so many think that on death everything ceases, was startling when I first came to know of it.

Later, I was even more startled to know that some Indian scientists today hold the same view as many Westerners that there is no life after death! I think they have come under the influence of Western scientists who hold such views.

Had a quick look at the Life after death article link you provided. The hassle is that mainstream scientists heavily contest these articles and provide some other hallucination type explanation, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-death_experience. So it becomes a belief thing rather than a scientifically accepted fact.

BTW if you have not heard of the late Prof. Ian Stevenson and Prof. Jim Tucker both of whom are renowned names in reincarnation research you may want to have a look at their wiki pages, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Stevenson, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_B._Tucker. Once again mainstream scientists do not accept their findings, but whatever I read/viewed of their work was quite convincing to me. Jim Tucker has also featured in a very interesting video on reincarnation cases in USA/Western Europe.

----------------

For those who have not heard of Anita Moorjani's Unconditional Love Near Death Experience, and would like to know about it, here's my blog post on it: https://ravisiyer.blogspot.com/2015/04/anita-moorjani-near-death-experience.html.

Comments

Archive

Show more