Shirdi Sai Baba on attitude towards Guru

From http://www.saibabaofshirdi.net/satcharita/sai45.html, precious words of Shirdi Sai Baba:
This story [Ravi: what is narrated before this extract] exhorts us to give respect to the words of other saints, but at the same time asks us to have full faith in our Mother, i.e., the Guru, and abide by His instructions: for he knows our welfare better than any other person. Carve out on your heart, the following words of Baba - "There are innumerable saints in this world, but 'Our father' (Guru) is the Father (Real Guru). Others might say many good things, but we should never forget our Guru's words. In short, love your Guru whole-heartedly, surrender to Him completely and prostrate yourselves before Him reverentially and then you will see that there is no sea of the mundane existence before you to cross, there is no darkness before the sun."

From Narasimhaswami, Charters and Sayings (as reported by Antonio Rigopoulos in his book on Shirdi Sai Baba), Shirdi Sai Baba is reported to have said:
I sat and gazed at him [Ravi: guru]; and we were both filled with Bliss. I cared not to turn my eye upon anything else. Night and day I pored upon his face with an ardour of love that banished hunger and thirst. The Guru's absence, even for a second, made me restless. I meditated upon nothing but the Guru and had no goal or object other than the Guru. Unceasingly fixed upon him was my mind ... I wanted nothing but the Guru and he wanted nothing but my love.

From Narasimhaswami, Charters and Sayings (as reported by Antonio Rigopoulos in his book on Shirdi Sai Baba), Shirdi Sai Baba is reported to have said:
My Guru, after depriving me of everything, asked me for two pice [Ravi: like two pennies/cents]. I gave them to him. He did not want metallic gifts. What he asked for was faith (nistha) and patience, cheerful endurance (saburi). [Ravi: The word sraddha common to some Indian languages, is also used in the place of nistha, in this context, in Shirdi Sai literature.]

Comments

Archive

Show more