Glad to know that Mumbai University Vice-Chancellor's office has received paperback copy of my book, "Who am I? I am I ..."

Last updated on 12th Oct. 2018

Today, 8th Oct. 2018, I was able to confirm from staff of University of Mumbai Vice-Chancellor's (VC) office, that they have received the paperback copy of my book, "Who am I? I am I - Ultimate Existential Reality Answer; Vedanta; God and Science conversation", https://pothi.com/pothi/book/ravi-s-iyer-ultimate-existential-reality-answer-vedanta-god-and-science.

As I requested that my email to the Vice-Chancellor be treated as a covering letter, the staff person said that he will print the email and give the book along with the printed email to the VC.

Given below is the initial part of my covering letter-email to the VC on 29th Sept. 2018:

Dear Hon'ble Vice-Chancellor of University of Mumbai, Prof. Suhas Pednekar,

I studied in Ruia College, Mumbai affiliated to Mumbai University, for 5 years for my F.Y.J.C to T.Y.B.Sc. education. I passed out with B.Sc. (Physics) in 1983. I take this opportunity to thank Ruia college and Mumbai University for having taught me in those years.

I also studied for a few months for M.Sc. (Physics) in Khalsa college and Kalina campus of Mumbai university, before I dropped out after around 6 months or so, due to money problems.

I am glad to have the opportunity to express my gratitude to University of Mumbai by sending you, sir, a copy of my first self-published book, "Who am I? I am I - Ultimate Existential Reality Answer; Vedanta; God and Science conversation".

--- end extract from my email ---

Some info. about University of Mumbai from its wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Mumbai

The University of Mumbai, informally known as(MU), is one of the earliest state universities in India and the oldest in Maharashtra.

...

The University of Mumbai is one of the largest universities in the world. In 2011, the total number of enrolled students was 549,432.[2] The University of Mumbai currently has 711 affiliated colleges.[3]
...

History

In accordance with "Wood's despatch", drafted by Sir Charles Wood in 1854, The University of Bombay was established in 1857 after presentation of a petition from the Bombay Association to the British colonial government in India.[4] The University of Mumbai was modeled on similar universities in the United Kingdom, specifically the University of London.[4]:188

...

In 1949, student enrolment was 42,272 with 80 affiliated colleges. By 1975, these numbers had grown to 156,190 and 114 respectively.[4]
...
[Wiki References]
2. "Mumbai University records 60% rise in students" : DNA – Daily News and Analysis newspaper article, Monday, 21 March 2011.
3. With 811 colleges, Pune varsity 2nd largest in country The Times of India newspaper article : 4 November 2013
4. Aroon Tikekar (2006). The Cloister's Pale: A Biography of the University of Mumbai (2nd ed.). Mumbai: Popular Prakashan. ISBN 81-7991-293-0.

--- end wiki extracts ---

Ravi: In this matter, I now feel that I have done my bit towards my Alma Mater university by offering my book with gratitude and love to the Vice-Chancellor of University of Mumbai, and following up with the office staff to ensure they got it and confirming that they would give it to the Vice-Chancellor along with a printout of my covering letter email.

I don't know how the Vice-Chancellor, Dr. Suhas Pednekar, may react to the book. It will be nice if he thinks it may be worth sending it to the main library of the University which, in my days, was and perhaps still is, in its Kalina campus.

Here are some pics of University of Mumbai:

[To open pic in higher resolution, right-click on pic followed by open in new tab/window. In new tab/window you may have to click on pic to zoom in.]



Rajabai Clock Tower which is located within Fort campus of University of Mumbai
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rajabai_Clock_Tower,_Mumbai_(31_August_2008).jpg. Pic taken by Nikhil Kulkarni (Nikkul at English Wikipedia). Pic shared under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license, https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/deed.en.
--------


The University's administration building with the Bombay Stock Exchange in the background.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mumbai_university,admin_block,Tamil_Nadu490.jpg. Pic taken by (author name is in Tamil language script) தகவலுழவன், on 17th Nov. 2011. Pic shared under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license, https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/deed.en.
-----


Bombay University Garden, circa 1890.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bombay_University_Garden.jpg, Public domain pic.
------



A building of the University of Mumbai.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mumbai_03-2016_37_University.jpg, Copyright: «© A.Savin, Wikimedia Commons» [Not to be shared on Facebook]
================================================================



My B.Sc. degree photocopy pic
--------

From my comments (slightly edited) in my Facebook post, https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/2307329169483647, associated with this post:

I recall sitting in the outer corridors of the building (like in pic above with caption, "A building of the University of Mumbai."), on a few occasions (as it was quite far from my college), to study for my exams. Students were allowed to do so.

I was attracted by its aura and majesty then. The fact that I still remember having sat there to study, shows how much an impact it made on me!
----

Well I am just a commoner :-). But Mumbai University, including its majestic aura and great history, and Ruia college have certainly had their powerful influence on me, which surely must be reflected in some parts of my personality even today. Thanks.
----

Saithra Leilani wrote (and was OK to share her comments in this blog post): Ravi S. Iyer your degree cert looks classy..when I compare mine it's totally different look.. All printed, embossed..
----

Ravi S. Iyer wrote: Yes, Bombay University then had lot of such classy touches. I think it was the heritage of the British who had set it up in middle of nineteenth century.
----

Saithra Leilani Ravi S. Iyer Garu...I thank you for uploading your prestigious degree here that led us to discovery [Ravi: about some name related personal matters which are not provided here]..yo! Cheers😊😊😊
----

Ravi S. Iyer wrote: Well B.Sc. is not so prestigious :-). But it has its value, nonetheless.
----

Saithra Leilani wrote: Ravi S. Iyer of course.. Its your hard earned through your hardship and effort.. It does not matter what qualifications but the very qualifications you have earned should reflect one's character..that obviously I saw in you..your higher spiritual consciousness and sense of detachment..that I treasure most...which has eventually led to the birth of "I'm I"..Isn't that the qualities Swami wants from us! The spiritual progress no matter where we are now..I think thats prestigious enough..not from worldly perspective.. 😊😊❤
----

Ravi S. Iyer wrote: I certainly learned fair amt. of Science in B.Sc. which trained my mind in logical thinking.That training was vital for my software development career. .... I followed paths that many in software industry took, of basic graduate degree and then a jump into software field which allowed them to flourish. I am very happy that I followed that path which enabled me to focus on spirituality from my thirties as part-time, and from my forties as almost full-time. ... Perhaps if I/my family had enough money I may not have dropped out of my M.Sc. Physics but then I think I may have had a career as some scientist in India's science research organizations which may not have permitted me to focus on spirituality almost full-time right from my forties. So all told, I am happy that my academic qualifications stopped at B.Sc. and that I jumped quickly into the flourishing software field after that.
----

Ravi S. Iyer wrote: And thanks for the kind words Saithra Leilani.
----

Saithra Leilani wrote: Ravi S. Iyer certainly the world is our classroom in every point of our lives..Swami planned it all well according to His Sankalpa..that which is the best for unleashing ultimate purpose..nevertheless it would hv been nice if you had had pursued in Science Research Org..as I could hv fondly called you"Hey Scientist Garu..how do you do" kinda stuff..hehehehe😁
----

Ravi S. Iyer wrote: But then perhaps I would have been somewhat stiff as a person and not so loose and flexi which is what my software industry career made me :-).
----

Saithra Leilani wrote (slightly edited): Ravi S. Iyer What makes you think you would hv been stiff had you been a scientist. I don't think so! Infact I believe scientific traits or characters or certain type of intelligence does make men ---..I have seen many men scientists in my country [Ravi: Malaysia] full of emotions, love and care..It all depends with whom you're associating...your company and perhaps the Organization's management style..so long that it would not make you an alpha male...😊
----

Saithra Leilani wrote: Ravi S. Iyer ultimately you're where you're supposed to be..had you been elsewhere you would hv missed that special interactions and those direct chides from Bhagavan..😊
----

Ravi S. Iyer wrote: About scientists and being stiff: Well, today's scientists in India may be easy going. Don't know about your country. But in my college student days (1980s), most scientists in India had to work with government agencies as there were very limited openings for scientists in the private sector.

And, I think, government agencies scientist work meant that you had to be careful about how you present yourself in public. E.g. BARC (Bhabha Atomic Research Centre) was an important employer in Bombay then for young scientists. In fact, for my first USA Visa interview (in Bombay) the consulate officer interviewing me asked me how come I am in software field as with a Physics degree I should be in BARC! I did not answer him, if I recall correctly. Anyway, I got that first US Visa then (mid 1980s).

In 1980s I don't think BARC young scientific officers could freak out like Indian software company guys could freak out. Really! Software companies had a work hard, party hard culture. And freaking out after delivering on work was not only tolerated but even encouraged to some extent! As that was the software industry culture in the West, to some extent at least.

I am quite sure that if I had done M.Sc. Physics and joined BARC as a junior scientific officer or something like that in the mid 1980s in Bombay, I would not have loosened up like I did after joining the software industry. The young software developer and young scientist lifestyles then were very different in Bombay. Don't know how it is in BARC now.
----

Saithra Leilani wrote: Woww I like the name of Bhabha..on BARC..😀
----

Saithra Leilani wrote: Here scientist works in government agencies and medical line as well. Nowadays data analytics companies calls thier People Data Scientist..😊
----

Saithra Leilani wrote: Ravi S. Iyer a.k.a Suryanarayanan.. So did u go to US once you got your Visa in 1980..how long were you there..n what were you doing..you may share personally to me as well if not here..
----

Ravi S. Iyer wrote: Saithra Leilani I prefer to share this info. publicly just in case some others want to know.
My first trip to USA was from March to Sept. 1987. What I was doing there is described in attached letter by the head of dept. that I was assigned to.



----

Ravi S. Iyer wrote: The next USA trip was from Sept. 1988 to Sept. 1989. See attached letter from boss of dept. I was assigned to.



----

Ravi S. Iyer wrote: Last USA trip was for around 2 months in early 1990s.
----

Ravi S. Iyer A recommendation I got from a senior team member in the Sept. 88 to Sept 89 USA assignment, is attached.



----

Saithra Leilani wrote: Ravi S. Iyer commendable indeed..❤
----

Saithra Leilani wrote: Ravi S. Iyer Woww.. Beautiful recommendation letters. I enjoyed reading it. Now I understood why you were in US. I like when he wrote "he is one hell of a talented and dedicated guy"..well, you have greatly impacted them and the business. Interesting to note.
----

Saithra Leilani wrote (slightly edited): Ravi S. Iyer well you wrote programs and fixed the bugs in their software. Well done! I know you had been really hardworking to achieve the milestone in some part of your life. I see majority Indian experts in Software industry who comes to Kuala Lumpur will be working tirelessly day and night! I can imagine how it had been to you..and seriously you deserve this accolades! Now I know where your talents, expertise, intelligence comes from..😁
----

Ravi S. Iyer wrote: Thanks for the kind words, Saithra Leilani.
----

Alok Dara Shikoh wrote (slightly edited): So happy to see this post. This well written masterpiece does deserve this.
---

Ravi S. Iyer wrote: Alok Dara Shikoh sir. Thank you so much for the very kind words.
---


[I thank wikipedia and have presumed that they will not have any objections to me sharing the above extracts from their website on this post which is freely viewable by all, and does not have any financial profit motive whatsoever.]

Comments

Archive

Show more