Tune mujhe bulaya sherawaliye - You called me, Oh she who has/rides the lion/tiger! - Popular 1980 Hindi film bhajan

I just love this bhajan/devotional song and have enjoyed it over the decades listening to it on the radio mainly in the 80s, but also later on in the 90s. Now youtube provides me the great pleasure of watching the video-song.

Here's the video of it from the 1980 movie Aasha: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK7eTIyJoOE, 6 min, 46 secs, sung by Mohammed Rafi and Narendra Chanchal, music composed by Laxmikant-Pyarelal and song composed (lyricist) by Kaifi Azmi. One of the two singers (Mohd. Rafi) and the lyricist (Kaifi Azmi) are Muslim. This just shows how Hindi film industry of those days (perhaps even today), always promoted a multi-faith approach to God and promoted religious tolerance/pluralism. I simply adore (Late) Mohammed Rafi, who I believe was a devout Muslim! May God shower His choicest blessings on Mohammed Rafi sahab wherever his spirit is now (with God in all probability), and his loved ones! May India have many more Mohammed Rafis who are like him as devout Muslims and promote multi-faith approach to God!

I think the song is about Mother Durga or some similar deity who rides the lion/tiger. This particular deity lives on the hilltop.

The lyrics in Hindi (Devanagari) script: https://www.bhaktibharat.com/bhajan/tune-mujhe-bulaya-sherawaliye

I am giving my rough English translation of most of the lyrics

You called me, Oh she who has/rides the lion/tiger!
I have come, I have come, Oh she who has/rides the lion/tiger!

The whole world is one wanderer/traveller
The destination of all is your door
The hill is high
The road is long
But I could not stay (back), Oh she who has/rides the lion/tiger!
You called me, Oh she who has/rides the lion/tiger!
I have come, I have come, Oh she who has/rides the lion/tiger!

In the desolate mind, a lamp got lit
On your road, partners met (each other)
(What) should I open my mouth (for) and what should I ask you?
Without asking, I got everything, Oh she who has/rides the lion/tiger!
...

Who is the king (and) who is the beggar?
All are the same/equal (as) worshippers of you
You, by giving darshan (giving view of herself) to all
Have embraced (all), Oh she who has/rides the lion/tiger!
...

Say with love, victory to mother (goddess) (Jai Mata Di)!
All say, victory to mother (Jai Mata Di)!
When coming say, victory to mother (Jai Mata Di)!
When going say, victory to mother (Jai Mata Di)!
Remover of difficulties, victory to mother (Jai Mata Di)!
Takes across (difficulties), victory to mother (Jai Mata Di)!
Mother goddess simple (innocent), victory to mother (Jai Mata Di)!
Fill my bag, victory to mother (Jai Mata Di)!
Promised darshan (giving view of herself), victory to mother (Jai Mata Di)!

Comments

Archive

Show more