'Iyer spiritual blog' has become key brand name for my spiritual writing on social media as Internet search engines give top result rank to my main blog for this term

Last updated on 14th July 2021

One of the key reasons for putting up this post publicly is that I think it may provide encouragement to budding/future spiritual bloggers. 

While I was in the software industry (1984 to 2002), 'Wang computers', 'Datamatics software consultancy/services', 'Mastek software consultancy/services' etc. were key brand names associated with the companies and minicomputers that I worked with as employee or as contractor/consultant. Note that 'Wang Laboratories' was the name of the US company that made and sold 'Wang computers'. From 1984 to 1990 most of my work was on Wang computers and included assignment stints to Wang Laboratories offices in Belgium and USA.

Using these names in oral or written communications, clearly conveyed a lot about me, from a software development professional perspective, to others in the field. That's the power of well known brand names.

As I got into blogging about spirituality and some worldly matters too, mainly from mid 2011, as a free service activity, I did not realize that the spiritual part of this work would eventually become a key identifier about me and my work on the Internet. Without me having any such goal, over time, 'Iyer spiritual blog' and 'Iyer spiritual blogger' have become brand names by which my main spiritual blog or info. about me (from the About page on the blog) can be easily looked up via Internet search engines.

I currently describe myself/my work as: "social media writer (blogs and Facebook) mainly on spirituality and religion but also on worldly topics covering social issues, history including Information Technology history, democracy & free speech, government policies & related politics, movies & songs and general human-interest matters" in the About me page of my blog: https://ravisiyer.blogspot.com/p/about-ravi-s-iyer.html . This wordy description accurately captures my current work. But what I think Internet search engines try to assess is how me/my work is viewed by other Internet users. And there I think it is clear that the most important aspect about me/my work is my spiritual blog, which is reflected in the search engines' result ranks for my blog, for the above-mentioned search terms.

Given below are screenshot pics of Google, Bing and DuckDuckGo search engines giving ravisiyer.blogspot.com - my main blog (this blog) - as the top ranked result, for both search terms:

Iyer spiritual blog

   and

Iyer spiritual blogger

[To open pic in larger resolution, right-click on pic followed by open link (NOT image) in new tab/window. In new tab/window you may have to click on pic to zoom in.]







So like 'Wang computers' and 'Datamatics software consultancy', on the Internet I too now have a brand name - 'Iyer spiritual blog(ger)'! This was achieved without me spending any money on advertising and, as I said earlier, without me having any such goals. That writing on my main spiritual blog over many years (from mid 2013 on this main spiritual blog, and from mid 2011 on another spiritual blog iami1.wordpress.com ) has brought me this Internet search engine recognition, is quite satisfying. Perhaps reading this post may encourage some budding/future spiritual bloggers to devote significant time to their spiritual blogs, which would be a very good outcome of me putting up this post.

------------------

The term 'writer' is a much more general term than blogger. I think there are many noted writers on spirituality with name Iyer. But I was curious to see search engine results for the term:

Iyer spiritual writer

Google lists my author page on Notion Press, one of the two self-publishing companies I use, as the 4th result. The first two results are amazon.in links and the third result is of a quite well known spiritual and travel author, Pico Iyer, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pico_Iyer :


The first amazon.in link in results page above, in turn lists one of Pico Iyer's books followed by one of my books:


Bing and DuckDuckGo list my main spiritual blog's About page as the first result!



I think links with my name turning up in the first few results of the above well known Internet search engines for the above mentioned search term, is a reflection of how important social media has become in the past decade or so. In fact, I call myself as a 'social media writer' rather than as a blogger, as I view both my blogs and my Facebook posts as important mediums for expressing myself, and I get more feedback on my Facebook posts typically than on my blog posts. But this term of 'social media writer' is not so much in popular use, as of now at least.

I think the term 'writer' is associated more with people who write books and articles in popular mediums like newspapers and magazines, both print and online. I have only two self-published books related to spirituality and I don't write articles in newspapers and magazines, either print or online.

In terms of brand name, I think right now 'Iyer spiritual blogger' is the appropriate brand name for me as viewed by Internet search engines, rather than 'Iyer spiritual writer' or 'Iyer social media spiritual writer'.

Comments

Archive

Show more