Good to see my Google Knowledge Panel drop description from my Google Scholar profile and show my Facebook profile

This post follows up on my earlier post: My Google Knowledge Panel now gives more importance to my limited Google Scholar profile and ignores my current main role of blogger/social media writer,  https://ravisiyer.blogspot.com/2021/06/my-google-knowledge-panel-now-gives.html , 22nd June 2021.

I am glad to see that now my Google Knowledge Panel (GKP) does not use my Google Scholar Profile info. as description for the panel. It has also dropped Google Scholar profile link from the panel. That may have gone too far but I am not so concerned about it.

The panel has added my Facebook profile. That's good as Facebook is the medium where I get some reactions and comments, whereas on my blogs I have visits but rarely comments or other reactions (except spam comments which I usually mark as spam resulting in them not being shown on my blog posts).

Now there is no description for the panel (when seen directly on Google search)! That is a little odd but that too is OK. Interested persons can check out my Twitter and Facebook profile links provided in the panel, where I have provided suitable info. about me/my work.

Below pics show my Google Knowledge Panel today on 5th Sep. 2021.

[On PC desktop, to open pic in larger resolution, right-click on pic followed by open link (NOT image) in new tab/window. In new tab/window you may have to click on pic to zoom in.]

 

Above pic: Google Search window showing results as well as Knowledge Panel for search on my name.

Above pic: Only Google Knowledge Panel part (from another screenshot taken on same day, i.e. 5th Sept. 2021).


Google Knowledge Panel link: https://g.co/kgs/Qe9nbF

I later saw (on 5th Sept. 2021 itself) that if I visited the above Google Knowledge  Panel link, the panel shown includes introduction section from my Notion Press profile! See below pics.


Above pic is screen shot of what is shown on visiting the GKP link.

Above pic shows only the GKP part of what is shown on visiting GKP link.

Perhaps the reason for the panel shown first on search for my name in Google, not having my description is that the description is rather long! In fact, only the first sentence of the Notion Press profile is shown in the GKP link panel but that sentence is rather long. I prefer having my description in Notion Press profile give a decent idea about what I do, even if that leads to the description being longish. On Twitter and Facebook my profile description is shorter as they have a limited size for the description.

An interesting point about GKP link panel description is that 'social media writer' is shown in bold. Note that in the Notion Press profile it is NOT shown in bold. So GKP folks have made that decision to emphasize 'social media writer'. That's very good as I think 'social media writer' is the best terse (few words) description/title about what I do now in the public space.

Comments

Archive

Show more