Alandi pilgrimage and Saint Dnyaneshwar

Alandi, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alandi, is the pilgrimage centre famous for the samadhi of the great Maharashtrian Saint Dnyaneshwar. Pics below seem to be of the annual pilgrimage there around this time of the year.



Above pics courtesy: https://www.facebook.com/DeepakBharwani/posts/10214365730798033

A few Maharashtrian friends of mine during my Mumbai and Dombivli days, told me about their love and adoration of Dnyaneshwar, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dnyaneshwar,13th century (1275-1296) Maharashtrian saint, especially his commentary on the Bhagavad Gita called Dnyaneshwari. I was exposed to Marathi books of Dnyaneshwar, including Dnyaneshwari and Amruta Anubhav (a good friend had given me a copy of Amruta Anubhav). As my Marathi reading and understanding was rather slow, I was able to read only part of these great works and not be able to benefit as well as I wanted to, from these great and sacred works which are treasured by Maharashtrian Hindu devotees, especially those whose path involves a lot of reading and contemplation of Bhagavad Gita and other philosophical scriptural treasures of the Hindus.

But the story of the ordeals and achievements of the four siblings: Nivruttinath, Dnyaneshwar, Sopan and Muktabai is well known to Maharashtrian Hindus and which I too learned about, and benefited from. The above wiki page has some references to it.

Some decades ago, I was blessed to visit Alandi and worship at the samadhi of Dnyaneshwar Maharaj.

I found these pics of Alandi at the time of the pilgrimage this year to be very enjoyable which bring to life the awesome depth of devotion to God of the Varkari Maharashtrian Hindu devotees. Maharashtra is a land of great devotion with Dnyaneshwar and his samadhi at Alandi being two important symbols of this great devotion to God.

Dnyaneshwar Maharaj ki Jai!

Comments

Archive

Show more