I love the first two lines of Hey Anaatha Naath Sai Tumho Antaryaami - Hindi Sai bhajan; A lovely rendition

Lovely rendition of this Hindi bhajan : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rmnVXVHoHY, 5 mins. 55 secs. The youtube video does not show the singer and musicians (it has a set of pics with Shirdi Sai in it) nor does the description mention the lady singer's name or the names of the musicians. 

I love the first two lines of this bhajan as they capture my feelings towards my beloved Lord Sai incarnated as Bhagavan Sri Shirdi Sai Baba and later as Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba.

The lines are:

Hey anaath naath Sai tum ho antaryaami

[English: O Lord of orphans (those who seek/need a beneficiant Lord), you are my inner Lord]

Tum ho mere Bhagavan

[English: You are my Lord (one who I adore, worship and pray to, seeking grace and protection)]

I got first exposed to this bhajan in the 1990s in the Sathya Sai devotee community in Maharashtra. I do not know the origin of this song and whether it was first composed as a song of worship of Bhagavan Sri Shirdi Sai Baba.

At that time, I had not yet developed the devout faith that God is the indweller of my body. Yes, I had read about it in Hindu scripture but I had my doubts and confusion about it.

There is a later line in this song which I liked then, but today I do not view it in the way I viewed it then (1990s). That is this line:

Hridaya mandir mein aao Sai mere 

[English: O my (Lord) Sai, (please) come to the temple of my heart.]

Today, based on what Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba has said many times, and what is mentioned clearly in Hindu Vedanta scripture, my staunch belief is that God was and is already in the innermost depths of my heart (even in the 1990s). There is no need for Him to come from somewhere else to the temple of my heart. But the journey of the devotee (like my journey) is in developing faith, and understanding and knowing that God is in the innermost depths of his/her being.

But then, perhaps, most devotees are able to better relate to, at least in the initial parts of their journey, God being somewhere else (outside their body & being) and that they need to pray to and invite God to come from that-somewhere-else to the temple of their heart. And so this line may be of vital meaning, and help and joy to them at some stages in their devotional journey.

Vedanta teaches us, which Sathya Sai reinforced, that this inner Lord is the Nirguna Parabrahma (attribute-less/formless divine power).

But most of us including me for sure, at least at some times, find it much easier to worship this formless divine power through our Ishta Devata (favourite divine being), which in my case is Sai Baba (Shirdi Sai and Sathya Sai). [In my meditation sessions, I usually worship/focus on formless divine power.]

And this worship of God through a deity with form & attributes, of course, is very popular in Hindu culture & worship, with Hindu scripture like the Karma Kanda of the Vedas, the Puranas (including the vital Bhagavat Purana) and Ramayana being full of such worship through a deity with form & attributes.

Comments

Archive

Show more