Pope Francis' 2020 Christmas Eve Mass: Due to God’s infinite love for us, Jesus was born, not in a palace, but in poverty - the manger of a stable

Pope Francis starts his discourse at around 39 minutes and ends around 50 minutes in this video: 24 December 2020 Holy Mass of the Christmas Vigil Pope Francis, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuQKnKaS4Lc, published on 24th Dec. 2020 by Vatican News - English.

I heard this discourse and found it to be inspiring. I have great admiration and reverence for Pope Francis. His actions and words strengthen my faith in a loving God.

I could not find the full text of this discourse on the Internet and on Vatican News - English site. Perhaps it will be put up later. 

But I found a lot of news reports on this discourse. I have given below extracts of Pope Francis' discourse, and little other background info. from some of these reports.

Extracts from: At The Vatican, A Christmas Eve Mass Shaped By The Pandemic, https://www.npr.org/2020/12/24/950116293/at-the-vatican-a-christmas-eve-mass-shaped-by-the-pandemic, 24th Dec. 2020, are given below:

The Mass was celebrated in a smaller rear section of St. Peter's Basilica, and only 100 or so people were present, Reuters reported. In normal times without a pandemic, the Mass is celebrated in the main part of the basilica before some 10,000 people.

All in attendance wore masks except for the pontiff and a small choir. Those in the pews sat at a distance from one another.

--- end extracts from npr.org ---


Extracts from: Pope at Christmas Mass: Jesus comes as a child to make us children of God, https://www.vaticannews.va/en/pope/news/2020-12/pope-francis-jesus-comes-as-a-child-to-make-us-children-of-god.html, 24th Dec. 2020

[Quoted words are of Pope Francis:] "The birth of Jesus is the ‘newness’ that enables us to be reborn each year, and to find, in Him, the strength needed to face every trial."

...

"Yet what do these words — ‘for us’ — really mean?".. "They mean that the Son of God, the one who is holy by nature, came to make us, God’s children, holy by grace."

..

It is because of God’s infinite love for us that Jesus was born, not in a palace, but in the manger of a stable. Jesus “came into the world as each child comes into the world, weak and vulnerable, so that we can learn to accept our weaknesses with tender love… God loves to work wonders through our poverty,” the Pope said.

[https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/manger states "A manger is a low open container which cows, horses, and other animals feed from when indoors." https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stable states that stable is "a building in which domestic animals are sheltered and fed" .. [e.g.] "a horse stable".]

..

Pope Francis insisted that “the manger, poor in everything yet rich in love, teaches us that true nourishment comes from letting ourselves be loved by God and loving others in turn.”

..

God came to us at Christmas as a weak and vulnerable Child to teach us how to love, the Pope said. “God came among us in poverty and need, to tell us that in serving the poor, we will show our love for Him.”

Pope Francis concluded his homily with a prayer to the newborn Saviour: “Jesus, you are the Child who makes me a child.  You love me as I am, not as I imagine myself to be.  In embracing you, the Child of the manger, I once more embrace my life.  In welcoming you, the Bread of life, I too desire to give my life.  You, my Saviour, teach me to serve.  You who did not leave me alone, help me to comfort your brothers and sisters, for, from this night forward, all are my brothers and sisters.”

--- end extracts from vaticannews.va ---


[I thank vaticannews.va, npr.org, collinsdictionary.com and merriam-webster.com, and have presumed that they will not have any objections to me sharing the above extract(s) from their website (short extracts from npr.org, collinsdictionary.com and merriam-webster.com) on this post which is freely viewable by all, and does not have any financial profit motive whatsoever.]

Comments

Archive

Show more