Believing that one's reality is awareness and not one's body does not free person from body consciousness; Could intense japam & dhyanam (chanting & meditation) give that freedom?

Minor update on 9th March 2022

Once again though on convalescence break, I felt I should write this post.

One thing I keenly experienced in my recent health emergency challenges was that while I was not afraid of death and ready for death anytime, I had zero idea of when and how death would come to my body. And that is still the case.

I am very convinced about my ultimate reality being the divine, changeless awareness - the Atma - which is deathless. What dies is the body not the Atma/awareness. I also have some limited experience of that awareness.

But I have no experience whatsoever of losing body consciousness while engaged in spiritual practice like japam (chanting holy mantra or divine name) or dhyanam (meditation). Instead, as of today, I am very limited by my body and its various weaknesses.

It is one thing to be convinced that one's ultimate reality is the awareness and not the body. It is quite another thing to be able to get free of body limitations or lose body consciousness, and stay only in the spirit/Atma/awareness.

The recent health emergencies I faced have made me very clearly understand my many limitations in this regard.

So what's the way forward? How does one acquire some level of ability to rise above body consciousness through spiritual sadhana?

One contemporary mystic says that with intensity of meditation (dhyanam) increasing, at some point one will rise above body consciousness. I find that to be interesting advice.

In other words, I think that if one wants to have spiritual power to rise above body consciousness, then intense japam and dhyanam may be one way to achieve it. 

=============

Associated Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/3339228049627082 , has some comment exchanges.

Comments

  1. Good introspection. Very few do this.
    But most people lament on their problems and blame either God or their own fate.
    Or blame everyone else for their shortcomings and problems.
    Your approach is nice
    Not only that, sharing of your experience could be an eye opener for some

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Archive

Show more