Over 400 years old church (ruins) in SEEPZ, Mumbai, built by Portuguese Jesuits; Planned post on chronological list of dynasty/empire rulers of Mumbai area over past 2000 years

As I have finished the posts related to Puttaparthi area history, I now plan to read up and then put up posts on history of Mumbai and surrounding areas including Dombivli which is on the outskirts of Mumbai. While I have lived close to twenty years now in Puttaparthi, most of the first forty years of my life were in Mumbai and Dombivli. I was born in Malad, Mumbai, and have lived in Malad, Dadar, Bandra (East) and Andheri (East) suburbs of Mumbai, and in Dombivli. I have worked for most of my work life in Mumbai (1984 to 2002) in SEEPZ, Andheri (East). So I am very interested to know about the history of Mumbai and surrounding areas going back two millennia (like my posts on Puttaparthi and surrounding areas history which goes back two millennia).

I had a casual look at the wiki page of History of Mumbai, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Mumbai , and found it to be very interesting!

In this post, I felt I should share something about a 440 year old St. John the Baptist church built by the Portuguese Jesuits in 1579, which is within SEEPZ area in Andheri (East). I have visited the ruins of this church while I was working in SEEPZ as a junior guy who would have time to spare every once in a while, in around the second half of the1980s. These ruins were in a remote area of SEEPZ then which was covered by trees and bushes. I had no idea then that it was over 400 years old!

The church was abandoned in 1840 after an epidemic hit the area, as per its wiki page, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John_the_Baptist_Church,_Mumbai . But in 2003 (after I left Dombivli/Mumbai and moved to Puttaparthi) the church was handed back to the Christian community who conduct a function there once a year.

Above pic: SEEPZ church (ruins) - compressed pic. Pic courtesy:  https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0d/SEEPZ_church_4.jpg (has higher resolution pic).

Here's a Hindi video on this church (ruins) and the function held there once a year: St. John the Baptist Church in SEEPZ, Andheri - One That Opens Only Once A Year, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAY2wHcP2ag , 3 min. 7 secs. 

Comments

Archive

Show more