Small & simple modified Google map pic fragment showing Puttaparthi, Mamillakunta, Kothacheruvu, Bukkapatnam and Karnatakanagepalli being connected in somewhat circular route

One aspect of Google Maps is that increasing or decreasing zoom brings in or removes labels. As a novice Google Maps user, I could not figure out how to have some labels which appear on increased zoom size, on the map when zoom size is decreased. This issue crops up when zooming in/out Puttaparthi and surrounding areas. In particular, when viewing the map of Puttaparthi and surrounding towns like Kothacheruvu and Bukkapatnam, zooming into Puttaparthi area to get more details and labels, results in Bukkapatnam going out of screen on my 21 inch TFT monitor.

So I thought of making a small Google Map modified fragment having all key towns/villages around Puttaparthi, and added labels to it. Bukkapatnam Lake being a big water body gets also conveyed well in this pic.

This becomes a useful pic for me to refer to when needed.

I thought this might be of some interest to some readers too. As Google permissions allow usage of these maps for non-commercial use, I thought of sharing the map pic in this post.

I may have made some mistakes in the modifications I made to this map fragment pic. Readers may please correct me if they spot any mistake(s). The modifications I made to the pic, in red colour, are: 

a) Label for Bukkapatnam Lake (cheruvu), labels & arrow for Prashanti Nilayam, Karnatakanagepalli, SSPN Railway Station, Kothacheruvu town and Airport. 

b) Puttaparthi Main Road and Airport Road are shown in white on light background and so are not clearly visible. So I added some dashes (line segments) to show the road, and two labels of 'Puttaparthi Main Road' and 'Road to Airport'.

Notes:

1) https://support.google.com/maps/thread/14573311/how-to-street-road-color-change-in-map?hl=en states that such road colours cannot be changed by users. But I noted that clicking on Traffic button shows all the key roads in bright and easily visible colours with each colour indicating level of traffic, I think. I felt such multiple colours may be somewhat confusing and so dropped the idea of using traffic button.

[I thank Google Maps and have presumed that they will not have any objections to me sharing the above modified map from their website on this post which is freely viewable by all, and does not have any financial profit motive whatsoever.] 

Comments

Archive

Show more