How should we social media writers about Sathya Sai Baba deal with queries based on Western media promoted negative allegations of the past?

Minor grammatical correction made on 17th Oct. 2020

Note: This post is based on my part of a recent social media conversation elsewhere. Readers who prefer not to read about such disturbing matters may please skip reading rest of this post.

This is a tough thing to face for us people who write about the wonderful, holy and good things that Baba (Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba) has done for millions of people so far, and, I am sure, will do wonderful, holy and good things for millions of people over centuries and millennia to come. I really mean the latter part of the sentence. I have ZERO DOUBT about that happening.

But the reality is that a couple of major Western media channels have disseminated these negative allegations about Baba. And many people who see such material believe those allegations without making significant effort to see whether those allegations are true, and without trying to know about the enormous good that Baba has done, and which continues to be done to this day.

A good friend of mine from my first software company (in Mumbai) days, who has been settled in the USA for past few decades, visited me in Puttaparthi a few years before Bhagavan's Mahasamadhi. It was a day trip from Bangalore, where his in-laws are based I believe, just to see me. He told me that he did NOT want to go to the mandir and have darshan of Bhagavan! I understood that he was under the sway of some Western media negative portrayal of Baba. Those days I was not much into social media or writing publicly about Baba. Further, the norm we followed then was to avoid getting into discussions and arguments on these sensitive matters. So my friend and I did not discuss the topic.

Instead we enjoyed each other's company after so many years, chatted about the good old days we had and talked about friends and family. My friend clicked a few snaps, and then in the evening I saw him off to Bangalore on the Volvo bus from Puttaparthi bus stand. He did not step into the mandir and did not have the good fortune of darshan of Bhagavan! BTW he is not an atheist and visits some temple in the USA regularly.

I think it was in September 2013 that I, as a social media writer, had to face my first Baba Western media promoted negative allegations problem. I think it will be appropriate to provide some background to this.

Over the course of many months prior to Sept. 2013, I had extensively corresponded with Prof. Erlendur Haraldsson on his update to his book on Baba. His earlier editions of his Sai Baba book (Modern Miracles: An Investigative Report on These Psychic Phenomena Associated With Sathya Sai Baba, published in 1997 and (one which I had read)  'Miracles Are My Visiting Cards'. An Investigative Report on the Psychic Phenomena Associated with Sathya Sai Baba, published in 1987) were well known and even recommended reading for Sai Baba devotees.

So I enthusiastically helped him in providing him information for his updated edition. I also told him who were the new bosses in the ashram system and helped put him in touch with the ashram media co-ordinater then. He even visited Puttaparthi in 2013, meeting the media co-ordinator as well as some other administrator type persons. I also had a dinner meeting with him, his colleague and the book's London based publisher in Sai Towers in Puttaparthi. Haraldsson even sought my suggestions for the title of the updated book and included some thoughts/views of mine in the book anonymously (as I preferred to be anonymous then). The new/updated book title is "Modern Miracles: The Story of Sathya Sai Baba: A Modern Day Prophet" published in 2013. I think I had suggested using Avatar in the title which he was not willing to go with. He asked me then about Prophet and I felt that considering that he was not willing to use the word Avatar, Prophet was a reasonable second-choice word.

The updated book was released in July 2013. I had already let people know on my mailing list (at that time I was more into mailing list communication with some known people rather than Facebook) about the upcoming book. I thought it would be a wonderful Seva activity for me to promote this (updated) book thereby giving a much-needed boost then to Sathya Sai fraternity. I created a new blog, ravisiyer.blogspot.com, which has now become my main spiritual blog related to spirituality and religion and Sai Baba matters. My first post on that blog was about this book: Prof. Haraldsson's book, "Modern Miracles: The Story of Sathya Sai Baba: A Modern Day Prophet", Released, http://ravisiyer.blogspot.com/2013/08/prof-haraldssons-book-modern-miracles.html, post dated 19th Aug. 2013.

[Prior to this (Aug 2013), from Sept. 2011 onwards my main and first spiritual blog was https://iami1.wordpress.com which is a humble exploration of and views on the God & Science conversation (done after August 2011), and little more. When teachings of religions or miracles mentioned in Holy Scripture are referred, as far as I recall, no mention is made of any contemporary or near-contemporary religious leader/founder – the attempt is to emphasize spiritual teachings/paths/philosophy/knowledge which may be viewed as universal though the Hindu way of expressing them is used. It must also be mentioned that a few posts are specific to Hinduism.

So this first spiritual blog of mine DID NOT make any significant reference to Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba. That, I felt, would allow even Sathya Sai critics and non-believers in Sathya Sai (like my friend mentioned above who visited me from the USA) to read the spirituality related views there without their bias against Sathya Sai interfering with their understanding of the views expressed there.]

Back to Haraldsson's book. Later, in the same month of Aug. 2013 he sent me an ebook version of the book which I planned to make detailed notes about on my blog (Haraldsson permitted me to put up these notes publicly). And then, the plan was to put up a review of it on my blog and Amazon (Haraldsson requested me to put up a review on Amazon).

What a shock was in store for me! Haraldsson had a new chapter called "The Western Critics" devoted to Western media promoted negative allegations against Baba! I freaked out! Haraldsson had not given any hint whatsoever that he was going to include such a chapter. If I had known about it, I would have COMPLETELY STOPPED corresponding/interacting with him on his book update and would have WARNED ashram media-coordinator and some others in the ashram about it.

I was also scared now. I had quit the Sai university in March 2012 and was not visiting Sai Kulwant Hall, but I still had interactions with ashram people over email and when I bumped into them in outside ashram streets in Puttaparthi. Would I be suspected by them of having known about this matter (Western Critics chapter) at the time I had told them about Haraldsson updating the book and visiting the ashram in that regard? I got into a panic mode! Really!

I informed the media-coordinator and some other ashram people on my mailing list then about this Western Critics chapter with the Western media promoted negative allegations about Baba. I think I would have made it clear to them that I had no idea that Haraldsson was planning to include them. I also wrote a strong condemnation of that chapter in my review. I have reproduced that part of my review below:

[Cautionary Note: Chapter 32, The Western Critics, has unproven and malicious allegations regarding Sri Sathya Sai Baba. A Western TV media documentary/programme is referenced by Haraldsson in this chapter for these unproven and malicious allegations. But Haraldsson has omitted to mention that a major figure of this documentary had his lawsuit on the matter in a US court of law, self-dismissed and with prejudice (which means that he cannot file a lawsuit on the same matter in any other court in the USA)!

In my humble opinion, most powerful Western media outlets have a strong bias against Sri Sathya Sai Baba and perhaps had (and may continue to have) profit, and possibly other, motives in widely publicising sensationalist negative allegations about him. In the coverage they have given of Sri Sathya Sai Baba, in my humble opinion, the Western media outlets certainly do not come across as unbiased and balanced reporters of facts.

Some Sathya Sai devotees who saw and read these widely publicised Western media unproven and malicious allegations seem to have come to believe them to be true. In Chapter 32, Prof. Haraldsson mentions a few such Western Sathya Sai devotees. Prof. Haraldsson himself seems to have come under the sway of such negative propaganda and has given his opinion on the matter seemingly based on a Western media channel's documentary and taking shelter in the word "may", which I find to be very objectionable and highly irresponsible for an academic researcher of Prof. Haraldsson's stature. I strongly condemn this statement of Prof. Haraldsson in this chapter.

In my opinion, Chapter 32, The Western Critics, of this book does not contribute in any way to the investigation of the paranormal phenomena associated with Sai Baba. So I have completely ignored it for this review. I suggest to readers that they treat Chapter 32, The Western Critics, as the effect of powerful Western media negative publicity about Sai Baba on Prof. Haraldsson as well as some Western Sathya Sai "devotees" he mentions in it. I further suggest to readers to either skip reading Chapter 32 or read it without coming under the sway of such negativity like Prof. Haraldsson seems to have come under.]

---- end book review extract ---

Slowly I was able to come out of my panic mode. I think my above condemnation and track record of free service of over a decade then in Puttaparthi where I had never ever co-operated with any such Baba criticism matters, would have convinced ashram people including the media-coordinator that I was innocent in this matter and that Haraldsson had not told me that he was going to include these allegations in his book.

What a lesson that was to me about such super-sensitive matters! All my plans of promoting the book vanished into thin air! How could I recommend the book to Sathya Sai devotees to read! The rest of the book was largely positive about Baba but this chapter made the book a NO-NO as a book for me to recommend to Sai devotees and non-devotees who want to know about Sai Baba. My rather extensive efforts to help Haraldsson in this updated/new book which I thought will help boost Sathya Sai fraternity then, was a waste, from the point of view of my earlier plan to promote the book in the Sathya Sai fraternity.

Haraldsson later informed me that the new edition book sales is not so good. I was not surprised. A few days back I saw Haraldsson's older edition book (without Western Critics kind of chapter/material) in Sai Towers bookshop display window. So, as far as Sai devotees are concerned, Haraldsson's newer update is a NO-NO and we should read older editions of his book! Note that he is the most noted parapsychology scientist who has studied and written about Baba. And so his work is a noted contribution to Sai Baba literature. But we have to use his older edition. And, I repeat, all my (free service) hard work of months of helping him to update his newer edition book, was wasted, as far as general Sai fraternity is concerned.

Here is my Notes blog post: http://ravisiyer.blogspot.com/2013/08/notes-on-prof-haraldssons-modern.html and here's the review: http://ravisiyer.blogspot.com/2013/09/review-of-modern-miracles-story-of.html (almost same review is on amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Miracles-Story-Sathya-Prophet/product-reviews/190873325X).
------

Well, Haraldsson not telling me beforehand about his Western Critics chapter, is a complex issue. Haraldsson was publicly (verbally) attacked by a few fellow academics who are anti-Sai people for NOT having publicly said anything about these Western allegations against Baba. I think they attacked him saying that he is giving a biased (positive) account of Baba which is leading to more people following Baba.

His earlier edition was in 1997. I think it was the BBC video released sometime in 2004 (so after the 1997 book) that got widely viewed in the West. So I think that in 2013, nearly a decade after the widely viewed in the West BBC video, Haraldsson may have felt obliged, scientific and academic integrity wise, to reference this video and mention the Western allegations. Also note that his publisher of the 2013 book was based in London. Perhaps Haraldsson may have even been told by his top academic administrators (vice-chancellor/president of his university) and/or his publisher to do so, in the interest of scientific, academic and/or publishing house fairness of presentation.

At that time in 2013 these aspects did not strike me. As his earlier editions had no mention of such stuff, I simply presumed perhaps rather naively, that his 2013 update edition would also ignore it.

Did Haraldsson betray my trust? Well, I cannot say that. I had not asked him whether his book is going to contain such material. He had simply not informed me.

Was Haraldsson being unethical in not informing me that he would be including such material in his book? I think here the answer is YES. If I was in his place, I would surely have intimated the person helping me that the book is going to have such stuff and so if the person does not want to help me, that's fine by me.

But then Haraldsson is a scientific investigator. Will investigators (including media reporters both Western and Indian) be so polite and concerned about well being of the people and institution they are investigating? I am afraid the truth is that investigators are not that way as otherwise they may not be very successful as investigators. I have also noted a streak of ruthlessness in accomplished scientists when it comes to what they view as the truth. I think they consider publishing their view of what the truth is, to be a vital duty of their profession as scientists. If some people (like me, in this case) get into some problems because of that, they may feel sorry for such persons but that sympathy would not extend to not publishing what they view as the truth.

Further, I don't know whether Haraldsson being a non-devotee fully understood how embarrassing and even traumatic it could be to those who had helped him in his book publication and were known in the ashram to have helped him, when his book with the Western Critics chapter was published. Perhaps he thought that we would just face some minor discomfort!

I think I was naive in presuming that Haraldsson will be largely goody-goody about Baba in his updated book. It was my first such extensive interaction/assistance for a book on Baba. I think old-timers in the ashram were aware of the possibility of such unpleasant consequences of interacting with/assisting Baba book authors (or media) who were not devotees, and so preferred not to get involved with them. I lacked their wisdom in such matters in 2013. Now, after burning my fingers over this matter, I have become wise like ashram old-timers, on such matters :-).

Barring this horrible Western Critics chaper, Haraldsson has presented a fair non-devotee, European, and scientific investigator view of Sathya Sai. Haraldsson has even criticized the BBC video for claiming a miracle to be fake and Haraldsson has provided scientific/logical arguments to counter that stand by BBC. In a radio talk show in 2012 in the UK, Haraldsson gently but firmly corrected the view of the talk show host that Baba's miracles were fraudulent. See my post: http://ravisiyer.blogspot.com/2013/08/prof-haraldsson-politely-asserts.html for more on it. So Haraldsson's fair and positive assessment of genuineness of Baba's paranormal (miraculous) powers which continues to be the case in this updated 2013 book too, is a very significant contribution of his to Sathya Sai legacy, in my considered opinion.

Given all the above, and having faced a lot worse in terms of betrayal of my trust from Sai university administrators in Puttaparthi itself, over time I was more understanding of why Haraldsson did what he did, and am not so cross with him now, like I was at that time (from end Aug. 2013 to perhaps end of that year).
--------

After my 2013 Haraldsson book experience, I started paying a lot of attention to the power of big TV channels (like BBC) and the money involved. BBC is govt. funded but would be having advertisement revenue of some kind, I guess. Big USA TV channels like CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox are driven by advertisement revenue for which ratings are very important.

So it is in the interest of the TV media reporters, producers and the media channel in general to publish stuff that will get them more eyeballs. And like Spielberg's portrayal of India in the Temple of Doom, was atrocious in its wildly inaccurate portrayal of India, but great for USA box office money, I think the BBC media team behind this anti Baba video tapped the Western Christian market and Western anti-religion market both of which seem to have significant number of people against Hindu miraculous Babas, by making this video. I am sure they would have made good money/earned career promotions by making it.

And the freedom of speech laws in the West make it very difficult to challenge them in court and punish them for wrong portrayal. That is the power of big media, especially big TV media, to help or hurt people and movements.

Even in India, more money is made by big TV channels by broadcasting shows that are critical and sometimes contemptuous of contemporary spiritual mystics with miraculous powers, than shows that show really miraculous contemporary spiritual mystics. The public at large enjoy such scandal. So the big TV channels deliver 'Public ki pasand' [Hindi for what is liked by the public] and make good money in the process. Such is life!


My 2017 view of the matter

Today as a social media writer in 2017, I am far more relaxed about handling Western media promoted negative allegations against Baba than I was the first time I had to face it in 2013 which I have described earlier (above).

What I have understood is that some people will believe the Western critics view of Baba no matter how much one tries to make them see the other side of the matter. Further, history of Avatars and great spiritual masters teaches us that they always have enemies during their lifetime. Krishna was hated by people like Sisupala. Jesus was so hated by some fellow Jews (Jesus was a Jew) in Jerusalem that they forced the Roman governor, Pontius Pilate, to crucify Jesus on sedition (as Jesus was charged with claiming to be the king of the Jews which was interpreted as challenging (non-Jewish) Roman rule over Jerusalem and surrounding areas with Jewish majority). Shirdi Sai too had many critics. So it is no surprise to a person knowledgeable about such history that Sathya Sai also had, and still has, critics.

Sathya Sai himself would ignore such vicious critics who were hell-bent on their criticism. Those who were open-minded were sometimes blessed by Baba with experiences that changed them from doubting Thomases to devout believers in Baba. Russy Karanjia of Blitz magazine/newspaper from Bombay is an example of that as he came to Puttaparthi to scoff but returned as a believer who wrote the book, 'God lives in India' having his personal experiences of Bhagavan's divine powers and, if I recall correctly, Bhagavan's teachings and mission.

Now in end 2017, my view is that we should not engage in discussion with die-hard Baba critics on such Western allegations. We should simply avoid interactions with them. I think the situation is similar to followers of political leaders. Note that I have a publicly neutral stand in both Indian as well as American politics.

Will a devout supporter of Narendra Modi ever change his/her critical view of Rahul Gandhi or vice-versa, through mere discussions? No. Will a fervent supporter of Donald Trump ever change his/her cricial view of Hillary Clinton or vice-versa, through mere discussions? No.

Their views are too strong to change over discussions alone. It needs some strong life impact factor/event for them to change such political criticism stands.

I have friends from my Mumbai software industry days, most of whom are now settled in the Western world. Some of these friends including some who stayed back in India, are critical of Baba. We continue as friends because we avoid any discussions of Baba between us!

If a more open-minded and sincere person approaches us (say, on social media) with doubts about Baba due to these Western allegations, then I think we can tell him about our own experiences where there have been nothing of that sort whatsoever. That is the truth with me. Nothing of that sort whatsoever. Instead, during my years in the Sai university from Jan. 2003 to Mar. 2011 (with designation of Honorary Staff/Honorary Faculty and Visiting Faculty) when Baba was in physical form and was chancellor of Sai university accessible to students and staff of Sai university in Sai Kulwant Hall, it was absolutely clear that Baba expected very strict moral/ethical discipline in Sai university with respect to not only sexual matters but even ordinary interactions between male and female students and staff in the Sai university.

I (and we) have to go with this truth that I (we) experienced of Sai Baba. In the light of such directly experienced truth, why should we give any importance to these unproven allegations levelled against Baba by a few Westerners? Who knows whether their accusations are motivated by some ill-will towards Baba leading them to make false statements or by some other worldly motives like money? It is not possible for us to disprove all such allegations. In fact, I think we should not waste our time trying to disprove any such allegation. Now in this post-Mahasamadhi period, what matters more in such issues are the teachings of Baba and there is nothing whatsoever in his teachings which encourage any immorality in sexual behaviour.

Not a single such allegation against Baba has been accepted/judged as credible, let alone being accepted as proven truth, by any court in any country of the world, as far as I know. I repeat, not a single such allegation. We should convey that to open-minded persons who have some doubts about the matter.

After that, it is upto them. If they still continue to have doubt, I think we should not engage further with them on this matter.

======================

I think it is appropriate to conclude this post by referring to Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba's words from his Christmas 25th December 2000 discourse, http://www.sssbpt.info/ssspeaks/volume33/sss33-23.pdf. Bhagavan attributed false allegations against him to money and jealousy against him. Bhagavan further says, "Some devotees seem to be perturbed over these false statements. They are not true devotees at all. Having known the mighty power of Sai, why should they be afraid of the ‘cawing of crows’? One should not get carried away by all that is written on walls, said in political meetings or the vulgar tales carried by the print media."

Bhagavan later says, "All noble souls and incarnations in the past had also to put up with criticism. You may ask why at all such criticism should arise? Criticism, in fact, adds to their glory. Pleasure is an interval between two pains. Shadow follows light. One should not be afraid of shadow. There is light even in shadow. Light and shadow cannot exist separately. There is a principle of unity between them. So, do not react to any criticism levelled against Swami or any other elder for that matter. Just brush it aside, saying, you have nothing to do with it. If someone points out mistakes in you, you can certainly rectify them. But if someone levels false charges against you, you don’t need to be worried over it. Be happy. If the criticism is made in a loud voice, it goes into the thin air. If it is made within one self, it goes to oneself only[.] [S]such being the case, why should you be perturbed? Let anyone say anything; remain calm. Consider whatever happens as good for you. With such equal-mindedness, carry on your good work."

Ravi: I think we who write on social media about Bhagavan should keep the above words of Bhagavan in mind. Some die-hard criticism will be there. We can simply ignore it. However, I think that if someone has got misguided by such false allegations carried by famous media channels like BBC and politely seeks advise from us, we can politely point out to them that the BBC program is not factual, and that it is the courts of law that are far better than such media houses in determining truth of allegations. So far no court of law anywhere in the world (as far as I know) has accepted any such allegation against Baba as true.

After explaining this to the polite and genuine person who has got doubts, I think we should leave it to them to decide. If it is their destiny to continue to be confused and misguided by these false and unproven allegations, so be it.

Given below are large extracts of the above discourse of Bhagavan, which I think must be viewed as vital instructions and teachings of Bhagavan to us, as late as end 2000 (less than 17 years back):

Today you have to remind yourselves of the ideals Jesus stood for. From time to time, many noble souls, endowed with immense spiritual power, have taken birth to propagate sacred teachings to the world. They struggled hard to make the world a good place to live in. But without understanding their noble intentions, foolish people tried to ridicule and persecute them. Right from his birth, Jesus had to face many trials and tribulations. When the name and fame of noble souls spread far and wide, many people become jealous.
...
The evil forces of desire, anger and hatred put the people to a lot of trouble. Jesus was also put to suffering in every possible way, though he strove tirelessly for the peace and welfare of society. He was the epitome of compassion and the refuge of the poor, needy and forlorn. But many people tried to create troubles for Jesus as they did not like his sacred teachings and activities. Their hatred for Jesus increased day by day. Even the priests turned against Jesus as they became jealous of his growing popularity. But the fishermen held Jesus in high esteem. They started following his teachings and became his followers. As he became more and more popular, many people, out of jealousy, raised obstacles in his path and even tried to kill him. Jesus had twelve disciples. Judas was one of them. But he betrayed Jesus. At that time, there was only one Judas, but today there are many such ‘Judases.’ Today the world is engulfed in unrest because of the rise in the number of treacherous people like Judas. They are mean-minded and are easily tempted by money. Judas betrayed just for a few pieces of silver.

Even two thousand years ago, money was the primary temptation of man. Because of their greed for money, people resorted to evil and unjust ways, destroyed truth and indulged in false propaganda. This was the case then, and it is the same even today. No one needs to be afraid of such false allegations. Why should one be afraid of the mistake that one has not committed? In the past, many evil-minded people were jealous of the divine personalities who attained worldwide fame through the teachings of truth and righteousness. Even today there is no dearth of such wicked people.

Some people are so mean-minded that they do not want to understand and appreciate the sanctity associated with the activities. Have any of them been able to accomplish even one-thousandth part of what Sai baba is doing? No, no, no! It is only Sathya Sai Baba who has undertaken such noble tasks without a trace of selfishness. Sai’s heart is pure, His feelings are sacred, and He is totally selfless. Sathya Sai Baba stands for three P’s namely, Purity, Patience and Perseverance. There is no trace of selfishness in Sai Baba from top to toe. He is rendering totally selfless service. Why are those with a modicum of intelligence unable to recognize this truth? Why are they indulging in false propaganda? They are doing so due to their greed for money. Not merely that. Money is the basis of conversion of people from one religion to another.

Even those who wear ochre robes become jealous of the prosperity of each other and indulge in false propaganda.

One does not become a saint or develop
devotion just by donning ochre robes.
One does not become free from sins
merely by holding the Gita in one’s hands.
(Telugu Poem)

What to talk about the Peethadhipathis (heads of big religious establishments), even some of the so called Sadhus are indulging in this wicked activity. We should not criticize anybody. But I am forced to tell you all this, as it has now become the demand of the situation. Do not be afraid of any false publicity.
...
People who try to obstruct sacred activities are not human beings to (at) all. They are verily demons. Even if the whole world were to be filled with such demons, Sai’s resolve will never change. Some people out of their mean-mindedness are trying to tarnish the image of Sai Baba. I am not after name and fame. So, I do not lose anything by their false allegations. My glory will go on increasing day by day. It will never diminish even a bit if they were to publicise their false allegations in the whole world in bold letters. Some devotees seem to be perturbed over these false statements. They are not true devotees at all. Having known the mighty power of Sai, why should they be afraid of the ‘cawing of crows’? One should not get carried away by all that is written on walls, said in political meetings or the vulgar tales carried by the print media.

Let us firmly resolve to propagate the principles of truth, righteousness and love. Sathya Sai Baba has no trace of selfishness in Him. I am spending crores of rupees to alleviate the sufferings of the poor and the downtrodden. My resolve is to feed the hungry and impart education to poor children.

These persons are unable to do even one thousandth part of what Sathya Sai Baba is doing for society, but shamelessly indulge in false allegations. Instead it would be better for them to follow Sathya Sai Baba and set an ideal to the rest of the world. I have no desires or ambitions. There is no trace of jealousy in Me. I am love personified. Love is My very life. Wisdom is the fruit that I grant. These two form the basis of My life.

People who indulge in false allegations are bound to come to woe. Those who investigate (encourage?) such false publicity too will meet their doom. Money should be utilized to undertake righteous actions, not for evil purposes. Serve your fellowmen with all love and compassion. Put them on the right path and make them happy. I am not afraid of any false propaganda that people may do. Why should I be afraid when I follow the path of truth, righteousness and love? Let people say what they want; I am not perturbed.

Today I am explaining to you in detail the principle of love that I stand for. During the time of every avatar, wicked people did play their tricks. During the time of Krishna, there were evil-minded people like Kamsa, Sisupala and Dantavakra, who tried their best to harm him. When Rama incarnated for the establishment of dharma, he too had to face stiff opposition from evil forces. He was exiled to forest for 14 years where he had to undergo a lot of suffering. Even his consort was separated from him. Ultimately, what happened to all those who tried to create trouble for the divine personalities? Those who accuse them and put them to suffering commit the worst sin. If one cannot undertake meritorious deeds, it would be better one keeps quiet instead of indulging in such sinful deeds.

There are some people who claim to be devotees and take to evil ways. They feel that their physical appearance will earn them respect. Not at all. It is one’s sacredness that makes one a good person. So, one should lead a life of truth and righteousness. The principle of love is the same in one and all. All should stand united by the bond of love. Then the entire world will become one family. We can never attain happiness if we contract and fragment love and develop hatred.

I lead a life suffused with love from dawn to dusk. I am providing high quality free education to thousands of students. Not merely free education; I am showing them by My example the way to lead an ideal life.
...
The Messengers of Sathya Sai, Association of alumni of Anantapur College, are undertaking various service activities in many countries. They are encouraging their husbands also to take to the path of service. Our old students are working in various countries like Switzerland, America, Japan, China, Russia, etc. Some foreigners are trying to bribe them, asking them to fabricate stories against Sathya Sai Baba. In Switzerland, when one of our girl students was approached by someone asking her to concoct stories against Sai Baba, she got so enraged that she immediately took out her shoe to teach a lesson to that person. She asked him, “Is this what your religion teaches? Is this the ideal that your religion propagates? Fie on you! Get out!” But there are some traitors like Judas, who are being bribed to level false charges against Sai Baba.

Ultimately, what happened to Judas? He felt miserable for having betrayed Jesus for monetary gains. He shed tears of repentance. He hit himself, saying, “Fie on me! I am a traitor. I betrayed my own Master and God.” Betrayal of God is the worst of all sins. Such betrayal can never be atoned for in any number of births. So, never try to betray God. Love all.

Salute even those who criticize you because divinity is present in all. Do not spoil your mind by harbouring the feelings of anger, etc. Pray to God with love. All noble souls and incarnations in the past had also to put up with criticism. You may ask why at all such criticism should arise? Criticism, in fact, adds to their glory. Pleasure is an interval between two pains. Shadow follows light. One should not be afraid of shadow. There is light even in shadow. Light and shadow cannot exist separately. There is a principle of unity between them. So, do not react to any criticism levelled against Swami or any other elder for that matter. Just brush it aside, saying, you have nothing to do with it. If someone points out mistakes in you, you can certainly rectify them. But if someone levels false charges against you, you don’t need to be worried over it. Be happy. If the criticism is made in a loud voice, it goes into the thin air. If it is made within one self, it goes to oneself only[.] [S]such being the case, why should you be perturbed? Let anyone say anything; remain calm. Consider whatever happens as good for you. With such equal-mindedness, carry on your good work.
...
What you have to propagate to the world is love alone. Nothing exists other than love in this world. Love is God. Love is life and love is everything. So, cultivate love more and more. Let your mind not waver under any circumstances. A wavering mind becomes unsacred. That is why once Thyagaraja sang, “O mind, do not waver and do not get deluded.” Consider love as your very life. Love alone makes one’s life sacred. One is a true human being only if one has love in him. Love is man; man is love. Man is God and God is love. It is love that unifies all. So, develop love. Tread the path of truth and righteousness and lead a peaceful life. There are no greater powers, no greater ideals and no greater supports than these human values of Sathya, Dharma, Santhi and Prema. These four values are the life supporting principles. Adhere to these four values and sanctify your life.

Embodiments of Love! Be fearless. Do not be afraid even if a thunderbolt were to land on your head. Death comes only once and not twice. It is bound to come one day or the other. So do not be afraid of death. Be ready for anything. Do not be afraid to follow truth. Fill your life with love. Only then will your life be sanctified. No spiritual practice like japa and dhyana can redeem your life if you do not adhere to truth and love. Let anything happen; hold on to these values. These values alone can give happiness and prosperity to the entire world. Develop love more and more. Do not pay heed to the criticism of others; because you are not committing any mistake. What mistake can there be if one loves God? Having unflinching love for God till your last breath. Do not entertain conflicts or doubts[.]

Everyone has to face the consequences of his actions. None can predict when and how, but you are bound to face them. However, when you constantly think of God, you will never be put to suffering. He will always be with you, in you, around you, safeguarding you. You may worship God by any name — Jesus, Rama, Krishna, etc. But remember that God is one, goal is one, truth is one and love is one. Love is God. Enshrine this unity principle in your heart and have firm faith in it. Then God will certainly take care of you wherever you are-in a forest, in the sky, in a city, in a village, on a mountain top or in the middle of deep sea. No one has the right to deny your God. Due to the impact of Kali Age, people are taking to evil ways in pursuit of money. They even go to the extent of killing others for the sake of money. For them money is everything. One should not struggle to earn money. Rather, one should strive to earn the wealth of love. When you have the wealth of love in your possession, you will never suffer.

---- end Bhagavan Christmas 25th Dec. 2000 discourse extracts ----

[I thank sssbpt.info and have presumed that they will not have any objections to me sharing the above extracts from their website on this post which is freely viewable by all, and does not have any financial profit motive whatsoever.]

Comments

Archive

Show more