G.D.Birla wrote the foreword for Kamala Subramaniam's Srimad Bhagavatam (Bhagavat Purana) (1979); Birla industrial family have been patrons and supporters of Hindu religion

I have started reading Kamala Subramaniam's Srimad Bhagavatam (Bhagavat Purana) (English translation), first published in 1979. That Shri Ghanashyam Das (G.D.) Birla wrote the foreword for it was very interesting to know. Kamala Subramaniam has expressed her gratitude to G.D. Birla in the preface. Please see below pics of parts of related pages of the book.

[On PC desktop, to open pic in larger resolution (if available), right-click on pic followed by open link (NOT image) in new tab/window. In new tab/window you may have to click on pic to zoom in.]


Note that this book is a summarized version of Srimad Bhagavatam as per the author's preface. But the author clarifies, "As for the tenth canto which deals entirely with Krishna's childhood I have not omitted anything."

The Birla industrial family is quite well known for some Hindu temples they have supported or even built, and Hindu spiritual organizations they have supported. There is a famous Birla temple in Shahad near Dombivli and Mumbai, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birla_Mandir,_Shahad , but which I have not visited. I am not able to recall any Birla built and managed temple that I have visited. 

G.D. Birla was a well known name to me, not only as a senior figure of Birla industrial family but also as an associate of Mahatma Gandhi. I read up more on him from his wiki page, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._D._Birla , which describes the impressive entrepeneurial work he did right from 1918 when he set up Birla Jute Mills in Calcutta and had to compete with European merchants. His philanthropy work is also covered in the wiki page.

I had not expected that G.D. Birla would have written a foreword to a spiritual book like this book. I find it very interesting and pleasantly surprising, that G.D. Birla, an Indian industrialist of the 20th century wrote this foreword to Srimad Bhagavatam (summarized) book in English.

As an Indian Hindu, I take this opportunity to express my gratitude to the Birla industrial family for their patronage and support of Hindu religion in India.

[I thank (Late) Kamala Subramaniam and publishers of her book mentioned above, and have presumed that they will not have any objections to me sharing the above small extract(s) from the book on this post which is freely viewable by all, and does not have any financial profit motive whatsoever.]

Comments

Archive

Show more