My recent Facebook posts on being thoughtless in meditation, focusing on Awareness-I and chanting helper-statements, and parts of body focus seems to be on then

Contents of my recent Facebook post: Being focused on Awareness-I while being without thoughts in meditation; Chanting helper-statements while being focused on Awareness-I,  https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/pfbid02v3BAgB7FUAR1nBzkMX4zUt5tjJ6HWbzUYZ1m3qMjzbg8KBmCcPaWYvnh2GWuivsKl

In my meditation practice, about being without thoughts and not chanting anything within, I have observed that I can do it in two ways:

a) Stop thought with focus being on the front side of my head including my forehead (including Bruhamadhya which is point between the eyebrows). The Awareness-I, of course, is there but I am not focusing on it.

b) Stop thought and focus on Awareness-I in an inner zone which is from the center of my chest to the head including the Bruhamadhya

I find that way b) is easier for me to maintain whereas way a) needs some more concentration effort and so more difficult to maintain. Therefore I prefer way b).

In both the ways mentioned above I am not chanting any helper statements within. So it is a sort-of complete nothingness within during such meditation stints when I have been successful in keeping away thoughts. But I do not prefer this type of meditation as I am more comfortable with chanting helper statements while doing meditation. Still, I do such without-chanting-within thoughtless state meditation every now and then in my meditation sessions, for few minutes.

What I really like and am very comfortable with, is focusing on Awareness-I within and chanting helper statements like 'Go deep into (Awareness) I; Dissolve into (Awareness) I' (at times, I add, 'Go deep into God; Dissolve into God). The chanting can be very slow at times and also just one word like 'Dissolve'. I can do such meditation for significantly longer period of time though I have not really checked how long I do this type of meditation. Note that when I have long meditation sessions, I mix different types of meditation like with chanting-within or without chanting-within.

In this context, a post I came across today is relevant. https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/pfbid0wmm1i47qvqpYVosTSxdFNZ1Bf1vup5B2XvWNa7KTT366RvZxuVaFiViEeq6QLgH9l quotes Ādyashānti, "In true meditation, the emphasis is on being awareness; not on being aware of objects, but on resting as primordial awareness itself."

I think the words, "being awareness" and "resting on primordial awareness itself" are very good expressions of what I experience as Awareness-I in my 'I am (Awareness) I' meditation, and when I say I am focusing on Awareness-I, I think I could also say that I am being Awareness-I and "resting on Awareness-I".

==================

Contents of my recent Facebook post:  https://www.facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7/posts/pfbid02Q4LFfJDdy59gP3UBfSznK14UAFzXpFLjNwuUqswLZUoeng4t9TdxKupodC7vgUL9l :

[The post shared in it quotes Ramana Maharshi, "If concentration is made with the brain, sensations of heat and even headache ensue. Concentration has to be made in the heart, which is cool and refreshing. Relax and your meditation will be easy. Keep your mind steady by gently warding off all intruding thoughts, but without strain - soon you will succeed. ~ Guru Ramana, P.II, Ch.XI"]

[My shared intro. text.:] Hmm. Very thought provoking for me. In my meditation practice, when I stop thought and focus on Awareness I, and when I try to locate which part of my body my focus seems to be on, I find it is an inner zone from the center of my chest to the head including the Bruhamadhya (forehead part between the eyebrows) and which in this post I refer to as IZ.

But it seems to not include the front side of my head above the Bruhamadhya and which in this post I refer to as FSH.

At times, usually when I am starting my meditation session, I find that my focus seems to be in the FSH. As my meditation settles on the Awareness I, the focus seems to shift to the IZ (inner zone).

Also, few times I do get slight headache while meditating but I had not identified then whether the focus was in the FSH or IZ. In future, if I have this headache issue while meditating, I hope to remember the shared post of Ramana Maharshi below and then see if my meditation focus then was on the FSH or IZ.

Comments

Archive

Show more